Author Topic: Rattle/BPO/EMI M10th DVD-A  (Read 4256 times)

Offline John Kim

Rattle/BPO/EMI M10th DVD-A
« on: November 15, 2007, 04:52:39 PM »
I acquired this from Berkshire at $6.00 and it sounds mighty impressive, far better than the CD version. The sound opens up quite a bit giving away the impression that the original recording is murky. It also gives more details and a wider dynamic range. Ditto the balance. I listened to it on my regular DVD player, so wouldn't know how much more improvement is out there when listening on DVD Audio player. For what I've heard so far it's definitely spending the money.

I hope EMI will do the same for the Rattle/BPO M9th recording.

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: Rattle/BPO/EMI M10th DVD-A
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 07:14:31 PM »
Wow...I didn't know Berkshire sold this at such a great price.  Thanks for the heads up on this...since I can play it on my regular DVD player I'm seriously considering it.

--Leo

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 08:54:03 AM »
Yeah, I may have to give in on this as well. I know that the DVD (no picture) of Rattle's M8 sounds much better than the "redbook" CD.

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 04:51:54 PM »
It's amazing how improved sound can totally change one's impression of a recording.

--Leo

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 02:32:15 AM »
I'm hearing this now (Rattle 10th DVD-A) and can confirm the sound is MUCH improved.  I don't have an expensive DVD player, but this sounds better than my CD version of this recording...the sound has been opened and dynamic range improved!  With the opened sound my impression of this performance is also better...I even have a better appreciation of Cooke's great performing edition...this is my favorite "Cooke" performance.  The BPO strings are second to none here.

I think I'll have to get the Rattle M8 DVD-A.

--Leo

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 04:50:49 AM »
I forgot to mention above that I listened to the stereo mix on the regular DVD side, not the official DVD-Audio surround mix.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 05:47:39 PM »
Based on my experience, it seems DVD-A can provide wider, clearer dynamics than SACD.

I am looking forward to Rattle M8th and Mehta M2nd DVD-A's.

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 06:52:11 PM »
There is also a Rattle M5 DVD-A (with BPO) and M4 (with Birmingham orch) on DVD (I'm not sure if this is a DVD-Audio or just a DVD).

I got my eye on that Rattle M5 DVD as well!

--Leo 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk