Author Topic: Maazel/BPO/EMI Bruckner 7th (OOT)  (Read 5224 times)

Offline John Kim

Maazel/BPO/EMI Bruckner 7th (OOT)
« on: November 17, 2007, 08:12:30 AM »
Critics normally remember the excellence of Maazel's Bruckner Symphony No. 8 with BPO, but I was happily surprised by the equally excellent B7th by the same force. Clocking at 74 min. it is very slow but Maazel keeps all four movts in tight control in terms of structure, nuance, tempo relationships, brilliantly maintaining the sense of natural flow and inevitability, all of which are essential in realizing Bruckner's mammoth score. In this edition the first two movts are expanded to incredible 50 min. but I never felt sluggishness in the conducting or playing. I still treasure Karl Bohm's beautiful but intense reading with VPO available on DG; no other team can match the utterly natural flow and phrasing demonstrated in this recording and the Vienna string's glowing, ravish sound is truly something to marvel at. Still, Maazel should be commended for his daring leadership and BPO's smooth but burnished playing is hard to resist. EMI's engineering is outstanding, clear, warm, and vibrant.

John,

Offline sbugala

Re: Maazel/BPO/EMI Bruckner 7th (OOT)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 05:14:35 AM »
I like this B7. For awhile, anything Berlin did that the Penguin Guide gave one * to, I'd scoop up before considering a ***.  Maybe it was the adoration they heaped on Karajan (often justified).  But it seemed that no one else could get a fair shake leading them.  Muti's B6 is pretty nice, too.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 06:25:40 AM »
That's right. Muti's B6th with BPO is even better! This is my favorite B6th along with Klemperer/PO/EMI and Barenboim/CSO/DG.

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 07:27:01 PM »
I am very new to Bruckner.  All I have right now are (I have not heard all these yet):

B9 Horenstein/VSO/Vox
B8 Inbal/RSOF/Teldec
B8 Karajan/VPO/DG
B8 Horenstein/LSO/Intaglio
B7 Tintner/RSNO/Naxos
B7 Rosbaud/SW German Radio/Vox

So far I have really taken my time with the B8 (which I love) from Karajan.   

--Leo

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 11:24:22 PM »
Leo,

By all means, get

Bohm/VPO/Decca B3, B4
Bohm/VPO/DG B7, B8

Bohm was a great conductor in this repertoire. His gift to sustain long lines in a natural temp without exaggerations or self-consciousness was a perfect fit into the sound world of Bruckner. Regrettably, he didn't leave recordings of any other symphonies.

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 08:05:35 PM »
Thanks, and before I put my order in, Any recommends for Bruckner 9th?

--Leo

Offline je-b

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 10:58:25 PM »
For a shattering Bruckner 9th experience, there's a DVD (on TDK, I think) of one of Gunter Wand's last performances of this work, recorded live at the Schleswig Holstein Musikfestival 2001 with the NDR-Sinfonieorchester.
All things considered, this would be my vote for the greatest ever Bruckner 9th.

Also excellent:
Giulini / VPO / DG,
Harnoncourt / VPO / RCA,
Jochum / Staka Dresden / EMI,
Celibidache / Munich Ph / EMI, (if you favor extremely slow readings of this work; to a lesser degree, the same goes for the Giulini / VPO one)

"Ich leb' allein in meinem Himmel,
 In meinem Lieben, in meinem Lied!"

Offline John Kim

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 11:06:49 PM »
For a shattering Bruckner 9th experience, there's a DVD (on TDK, I think) of one of Gunter Wand's last performances of this work, recorded live at the Schleswig Holstein Musikfestival 2001 with the NDR-Sinfonieorchester.
All things considered, this would be my vote for the greatest ever Bruckner 9th.
I heard a DVD of Wand's concert in Japan is also very powerful. Classictoday.com gave 10/10 to the CD version of the concert.

John,

Offline akiralx

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 10:03:05 AM »
Thanks, and before I put my order in, Any recommends for Bruckner 9th?

--Leo

The VPO with Giulini and Harnoncourt and both excellent - but my top choice is BPO/Barenboim live on Teldec, a really powerful, mysterious, spiritual performance.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 02:07:17 PM »
[The VPO with Giulini and Harnoncourt and both excellent - but my top choice is BPO/Barenboim live on Teldec, a really powerful, mysterious, spiritual performance.
I agree on the Barenboim/BPO B9th. Beautifully proportioned but very powerful.

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk