Author Topic: Mahler - The People‘s Edition  (Read 16121 times)

Offline James Meckley

Re: Mahler - The People‘s Edition
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2010, 12:33:14 AM »
...can you listen on the site?

I think they intend for you to be able to, but even after logging in, I'm not able to access much of the material. Don't know why.

I'll add another endorsement of the Giulini/CSO M9—one of my long-time favorites. I'm glad DG finally solved the audio problems with that particular recording. There's a pirate recording circulating of Giulini doing M9 with Philadelphia from around the same time which is also quite fine.

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline Michael

• Adagio Appassionato, Addolorato A Niente
    • My Railroad Audio Recordings
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2010, 12:11:24 PM »
I was going to vote for the Bernstein M9 but once I heard the Giulini, I could tell why it was in the lead.  ;-)  I love Bernstein's Mahler, but goodness, the Giulini is a great account.  Especially for all the stunning details that he reveals...wow.
Everyone probably already knows that i have a soft spot for the M9 Finale, and if you don't, you do now.  LOL.  So, that said...I love the way Giulini's horn plays the great restatement of the main theme at 6:45 in...wow.  It is not emotionally excessive, per say...just nice and powerful.
Michael

Offline stateworkers

• Statework, Free Great Broadcast Recordings
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 05:04:56 PM »

Something like what Philips et al. did when they made the 'Great Pianists Of The 20th Century' series happen is needed here.
Even those wonderful Kubelik recordings are largely superseded by their live contemporaries, released to acclaim on Audite. Their 3rd is a standout which won a Cannes award.

Hey, about the
...Giulini M9 ....  Wow, what a performance!  Any fan of the M9 who hasn't heard this one needs to ASAP.

There is a Philadelphia Orchestra version that deserves comparison (and enjoyment) which was broadcast once upon a time.
I have it up at my blog (shameless plug but its all for love not money, as wife points out repeatedly)
http://statework.blogspot.com

Let me know what you think!

Guillermo
Statework, Free Great Broadcast Recordings:

Offline GL

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2010, 05:39:20 PM »
I checked the current list and now it is perfectly plausible.

L.

Offline sbugala

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2010, 08:23:17 PM »
One I didn't see was Haitink's 80's studio digital M7.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2010, 10:49:17 PM »

Something like what Philips et al. did when they made the 'Great Pianists Of The 20th Century' series happen is needed here.
Even those wonderful Kubelik recordings are largely superseded by their live contemporaries, released to acclaim on Audite. Their 3rd is a standout which won a Cannes award.

Hey, about the
...Giulini M9 ....  Wow, what a performance!  Any fan of the M9 who hasn't heard this one needs to ASAP.

There is a Philadelphia Orchestra version that deserves comparison (and enjoyment) which was broadcast once upon a time.
I have it up at my blog (shameless plug but its all for love not money, as wife points out repeatedly)

Let me know what you think!

Guillermo

So, how the heck can I get this Giulini/PO M9th??? ??? ??? ??? ::) ::) ::)

John,

Offline John Kim

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2010, 11:38:15 PM »
...or it this all joke? :o

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2010, 12:24:31 AM »

John,

No, it's no joke. I have it and have listened to it twice. Just go to his Website, scroll down slightly over halfway, and find "Mahler" in the list of composers on the right side. Click on "Mahler" and you'll find yourself on the Mahler page—the Giulini/Philly M9 is right at the top. I believe he puts the link to the download in the comments section for each recording—click on "comments" and you'll be in business.

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2010, 12:51:03 AM »

John,

No, it's no joke. I have it and have listened to it twice. Just go to his Website, scroll down slightly over halfway, and find "Mahler" in the list of composers on the right side. Click on "Mahler" and you'll find yourself on the Mahler page—the Giulini/Philly M9 is right at the top. I believe he puts the link to the download in the comments section for each recording—click on "comments" and you'll be in business.

James

Thanks Guillermo!

I have gotten a lot of great stuff from this blog.

Cheers!

--Todd

Offline GL

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2010, 09:39:00 AM »
One I didn't see was Haitink's 80's studio digital M7.

In fact, it seems a ghost recording. Somebody considers it the best among Haitink's Sevenths (I wonder why best recordings seems to be always the ones more difficult to trace...).

L.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2010, 01:04:56 AM »
I would not consider it the best of his various Mahler 7's. It has a good first movement and second Nachtmusik. But both the scherzo and finale are too lethargic sounding by almost half. I know that Mahler marks "not too fast" for the scherzo, but Haitink makes it 11 minutes long, and it's just dull. The finale doesn't pick up any speed or punch in the back half. It's just there.

I think Haitink's very first one is still his best, along with the one that's in the Christmas concerts box. They're also better recorded. The digital one is a VERY EARLY digital recording, and is very thin in the lower end of the orchestra. If you wanted a performance that somewhat resembles Haitink's digital M7, the Zinman/RCA is vastly better.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 03:04:17 AM by barry guerrero »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk