Author Topic: introducing Mahler to new listeners  (Read 15810 times)

john haueisen

introducing Mahler to new listeners
« on: June 05, 2011, 02:10:08 PM »
What piece would you recommend to a new listener who is curious about Mahler?

For us Mahlerians, people come to realize that most of us are almost obsessive about Mahler's music.  Often, they eventually ask us what they should listen to in order to get an idea about why we love Mahler's music so much.  Should we recommend a particular piece, and should we suggest that they listen very closely, or merely keep playing it as background while they gradually become accustomed to it?  

What piece or technique should we use to give them a chance to grow to love Mahler as we do?  I realize this is not easy, but somebody give it a try.  Make a suggestion.
How would you go about it?

--John Haueisen
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 05:27:16 PM by john haueisen »

Offline stillivor

Re: introducing Mahler to new listeners
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 06:39:40 PM »
One thing's for sure; nothing's sure.

I've read here people getting hooked by M8 which I'd have otherwise thought one of the last.

Depends on the tastes of the person you have in mind.

Ivor

john haueisen

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 07:25:31 PM »
Personally, I agree with Ivor, that M8 would seem to come later in most folk's familiarization with Mahler.
We certainly can't answer a friend's question about where he should start by using a set "menu" for becoming hooked on Mahler. 
But Mahler Board members:  what would you tell a friend who asks, "Where should I start, if I want to get to know Mahler's music?" 

Offline Jot N. Tittle

• Meine Zeit wird noch kommen.
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 11:09:16 PM »
Hallo, Hansel!

At the risk of getting nowhere fast, I would recommend starting at the beginning with Symphony No. 1. It should require less "instruction" about what to expect or listen for. Once alerted, most reasonably attentive listeners should easily recognize those elements--and take some satisfaction in having done so. I hope, I hope, I hope. [Does anyone remember Al Pearce of radio days?]

No. 4 is frequently touted as entry-level Mahler. Maybe so, but knowing the song is, I think, necessary for understanding and appreciation.

Your suggestion of repeated listening (not just hearing) is sound (no pun intended). As we all know, even we who are familiar with the Mahler works continue to find something new in each performance.

. & '

Offline stillivor

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 09:14:23 AM »
Also factor in that the person who's asking may be one for whom Mahler isn't their cup of tea [c.Boulez].

Maybe trust your intuitions about the person you are introducing Mahler too.

The first work that swung it for me was, of all things, the Sixth. But then I can be a bit serious :-)

Ivor

Offline Michael

• Adagio Appassionato, Addolorato A Niente
    • My Railroad Audio Recordings
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 10:15:46 AM »
The Sixth is what got me hooked, too.  But I don't think I would recommend starting there.  ;-)  If I were going to recommend a starting point for someone, I would probably say M5, of all things.  Why?  Because there is a clear journey from tragedy to triumph that I think most people will identify with.

Which brings up the question: Why am I giving a bunch of recordings of M9 as "Farewell" gifts to people on Friday?  If I can't practice it, I probably shouldn't preach it.  ;-)
Michael

Offline waderice

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 11:15:38 AM »
Also factor in that the person who's asking may be one for whom Mahler isn't their cup of tea [c.Boulez].

Maybe trust your intuitions about the person you are introducing Mahler too.

This, to my mind, is the primary factor that must be first considered even before playing them a note of Mahler.  What sort of personality do they have?  And if they are unfortunately afflicted with ADHD, Mahler (with the possible exception of opera) would be a composer you would not want to introduce that person to.

Since Mahler was an individual who experienced life's tragic aspects throughout most of his own life, a person who has either similarly experienced one or more similar tragedies as did Mahler might possibly be a candidate to introduce to Mahler.

And most importantly, does that person exhibit a musical personality?

There are so many factors that must be taken into account if you are to be hopefully successful in such a venture.

Wade

Offline hrandall

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 10:19:39 PM »
I would suggest that a good first exposure to Mahler might be the various songs, maybe a custom "favorites mix." Short enough for someone not to be overwhelmed, but still convey a great sense of Mahler's music. Especially since some of the songs end up finding their way into some of the symphonies in one form or another, they might peak someone's interest in hearing more.

My two cents, anyway.

Otherwise, I think M8 is a great way to start too! :) Worked for me.

Best,
Herb

Offline Michael

• Adagio Appassionato, Addolorato A Niente
    • My Railroad Audio Recordings
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 10:22:47 PM »
What about the Adagietto from M5?  It's not too long and it is probably Mahler's best-known work.
Michael

Offline Roffe

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 06:05:11 AM »
There's a Philips compilation from 1995 called "Adagietto" with Haitink and the RCO containing Adagietto from M5, Poco Adagio from M4, Andante moderato from M6, “Urlicht“ from M2, and Adagio from M3. I think that's a fairly nice introduction. Otherwise M1 should also do nicely as a starter.

http://www.amazon.com/Mahler-Adagietto-Music-Love/dp/B000025FNN/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307426569&sr=1-1

Roffe

Offline Damfino

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 07:28:17 PM »
It depends a lot on what a newcomer already listens to. If they are not into classical music at all, it may be a lost cause. I started with the 9th. I was already a listener primarily of symphonies, and the 9th was easy to follow and it seemed to tell a moving story.

I second the suggestion of the 5th as well. It's really loud and brassy and gives a good overview of Mahler's sound world (aside from singing. I particularly like the Frank Shipway SACD recording of the 5th with the RPO. It's a veritable wall of sound.

Dave

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2011, 04:16:37 AM »
To my mind,the Ashkenazy/Sydney S.O. M1 (Exton) is ideal because it comes with the "Songs of a Wayfarer", as well as "Blumine" as an addendum. For far less money, the Ozawa/BSO/DG M1 did the exact same thing, except that "Blumine" was reinserted into its original second movement position. Unfortunately, the Ozawa/DG M1 is now out-of-print. Either way, emphasize following the text to the songs. Then I would try to get them on to the "Resurrection" symphony as quickly as possible. If that sticks, give it a year or two, and then move on to symphonies 3 &4. You could offer the 4th before the third, I suppose. But if you do that, try to whet their appetite for the 3rd. I agree with a point that somebody made earlier: as wonderful as the 4th symphony is, I don't think that I would use it as a starting point. The 4th is too 'erudite', and doesn't make a whole lot of sense without knowing M1 and M3 first (less so with the 2nd).

Unless they're already a big fan of brass, I don't think that I would try to start somebody out with Mahler 5 or 6. "Das Klagende Lied" can be skipped altogether. Once they get to the 6th symphony, they should also hear the "5 Ruckert Lieder" and the "Kindertotenlieder". Again, they would need to follow the text to get the most out of those works.

So here's what I suggest (the short version): burn them a CD that goes in the order of "Songs of Wayfarer", M1, then "Blumine". Be sure to copy the text and liner notes too. Emphasize that M1 is their reward for sticking with the songs. Pique their curiosity by pointing out that "Blumine" was the original second movement to the first version of M1, the so-called "Titan". Making bigger copies of the CD liner notes makes it much easier for people to read that tiny c-r-a-p. That should be a good introduction. If they like it, then quickly move on to the "Resurrection".
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 04:35:48 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline brunumb

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2011, 04:35:51 AM »
Unfortunately, the Ozawa/DG M1 is now out-of-print. 

If anyone is interested, this disc is available on Eloquence from Europe for EUR 6.57 post free.
It is coupled with the Fischer-Dieskau/Bohm recording of the Ruckert Lieder.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sinfonie-1-der-Titan-ruckert-Lieder-Berliner-Phi-/170636181523?pt=B%C3%BCcher_Unterhaltung_Music_CDs&hash=item27bab58013

Offline hrandall

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 06:03:33 PM »
It turns out that I'm faced with this issue on Thursday. I usually listen to Mahler with a friend of mine on Thursday evenings, and this week we'll have several guests joining us, most of whom have heard at least a portion of M2 before, but one or two that have had little to no Mahler exposure. We will be listening to M2, so I'll let you all know how it's received by this group.

Cheers,
Herb

Offline waderice

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 09:16:01 PM »
It turns out that I'm faced with this issue on Thursday. I usually listen to Mahler with a friend of mine on Thursday evenings, and this week we'll have several guests joining us, most of whom have heard at least a portion of M2 before, but one or two that have had little to no Mahler exposure. We will be listening to M2, so I'll let you all know how it's received by this group.

Cheers,
Herb

"Several" is a much larger number than the "less than a few" I know that I've had in one room at one time with any previous exposure to Mahler.  Consider yourself fortunate that you've able to gather that large a number at the same place at the same time.

Wade

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk