Author Topic: PBS - Rattle M9 selections?  (Read 16044 times)

Offline Russell

Re: PBS - Rattle M9 selections?
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2008, 07:21:29 AM »
Well, it looks like an optical (Toslink) cable from the DVR to my Mac (which, unusually, has an optical-in jack) might work, so I'll explore that option.  Stay tuned.

Russell

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2008, 05:17:04 AM »
I had another listen at this M9 tonight, in particular I focused on the two middle movements.  I feel what makes this performance such a success is the utter life brought to play in these movements...such character in the instrumental detail within the well paced action is breathtaking at almost every turn.  Such playing sounds very spontaneous.

--Todd

klingsor

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2009, 07:52:17 PM »
It was a superb performance, possibly the best live M9th I've seen. But the sonics were somewhat limited in its dynamic range. Oddly, the sound improved as the movements proceed; it's possible the engineers were initially experimenting with balances, volume level, etc. Overall, Rattle's conducting was even better than what I heard from his future EMI release on iTunes. The always smooth but intense BPO played brilliantly, tightly focused and refined.

I seriously doubt there will be a DVD...

John,

Sorry, replying about one year later!
I just saw this performance on New Year's Eve and agree it's absolutely among the best (even though I missed the First Movement. We have a re-broadcast here tomorrow, which I intend to record (the sound won't be DTS or anything fancy).

Offline Russell

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2009, 11:46:43 PM »
OK--before anyone gets too excited, I still have to figure out how to get the audio signal from my DVR into my Mac in digital form.  (I know I can always tap the analog outputs and re-digitize it in my Mac--I have a program for this--but I want to keep the signal as 'pure' as possible.)  My DVR has audio outputs for coax, optical, and IEEE-1394 (firewire), so there's hopefully an easy (and inexpensive) solution.  Any help/ideas would be appreciated, but I think I can probably solve this on my own without too much trouble...

Russell

Well, after little over a year (!), I was finally able to copy the file from my DVR (not a simple process, as it turned out) and extract the audio portion, all while keeping everything totally in the digital domain.  If anyone's still interested in a CD copy (John? Todd? Chris? Others?) just send me an e-mail (orgrsl@mac.com).  I think it sounds pretty good.  (I'd offer a copy of the HD video, but it's just over 9GB!!!)

Russell

Offline John Kim

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2009, 07:40:50 PM »
Russell kindly sent me a copy and I thoroughly enjoyed my listening. The sound quality is amazingly very good and free of distortion, dynamic compression. I am now convinced this concert is overall better than the EMI release; there is just a tad more spontaneity, urgency in this live concert.

John,

Mackjay

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2009, 08:43:31 PM »
If anyone is a member of Demonoid, I uploaded my copy of this performance. Decent image and sound, not too big file size (a bit over 1GB):
 http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/1767194/15854172/  :)

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2009, 03:57:44 AM »
If anyone is a member of Demonoid, I uploaded my copy of this performance. Decent image and sound, not too big file size (a bit over 1GB):
 http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/1767194/15854172/  :)

Someone posted this on OperaShare recently too. 
Scott

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk