Author Topic: Which is Mahler's most difficult movt. to bring off?  (Read 16389 times)

Offline Dave H

Re: Which is Mahler's most difficult movt. to bring off?
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2008, 11:26:53 PM »
Barry:

I have no intention of getting into a "US vs. European" critics debate. It wouldn't be a rational discussion. I am all too familiar with the syndrome I see here: "He attacked my favorite artist's work, therefore I now have license to attack him personally and professionally." This doesn't bother me at all--as a "public" figure I understand that this is going to happen. It's perfectly fair. I would only hope that some consideration would be given to keeping the tone of discourse relatively civil out of consideration for others here. This I do take seroiusly, because back in the day I had a whale of a time fighting like crazy in rec.music.classical.recordings, but it got tired pretty quickly and I like to think I grew out of it, at least for the most part ;). I would greatly prefer to keep the subject focused on music, and not have a discussion about having a discussion about music. Accordingly, this will be my last word on the matter, and if it ever comes to the point where the group feels that my participation isn't a positive thing, then I will simply not participate. It's not as if I don't have a forum for my views! I just thought it would be fun for a change to talk informally with other avid music lovers.

Dave H

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2008, 12:19:04 AM »
Dave H,

I value your participation and hope you stay...I value your opinion, since you bring much listening experience and knowledge which I've found to be largely accurate, and if I disagree I still have much food for thought!

--Todd

Polarius T

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2008, 12:00:21 PM »
OK, well, I really don't want to get myself further involved in a U.S. critic vs. Euro critic type of conversation.

That's not what I started, Barry, so why aim the comment to me? See above in this thread for DH's input.

Neither do I wish to continue debating the relative worthiness of Claudio Abbado - it just doesn't mean that much to me.

Sure, neither do I; to a large extent the debate is of secondary interest and in the main useful as an illustration only. Let me just reiterate that what I see as being at issue here is not some particular conductor but the interesting dilemma in which, due to reasons involving demography, certain social insulation, and occupational fatigue (which you pointed to in another thread), many critics have made themselves part of the problem they believe to have correctly diagnosed (diminishing size of classical music audiences), and not the solution as they seem to think. I think it's an interesting problem and potentially worth talking about, but if people so prefer the discussion can certainly be had elsewhere as well. Abbado in this context is just a case in point, illustrating to me how DH, for instance, can be looked at as symptomatic of everything that's wrong with the reviewing industry today (to turn around one of his own catch phrases aimed at the former  :)).

But there is another level on which conductors actually are an interesting subject to talk about (as evident from the quazillions of pages devoted to the topic on these pages btw). "Classical" or composed music is interesting in the sense that, while pop/jazz/rock music is all about the performers/artists, it is in itself all about the work, not the artist, but at the same time the performer/artist remains vital to the critical reception of that work. Pretty much everything in "classical" music remains open to interpretation, down to the minutest details in the score (there is no absolute way of documenting the idea of the composer as it emerged in his mind, and Western notation is relative in its basic nature and besides that also rather inaccurate and full of qualitative, not quantitative, indices as a system of annotation). So the work is at the center, but getting it "understood" is a conscious, creativce act that relies on interpretation all the way from the note values and tempi markings to the various structural and orchestral balances, speeds, choice of instruments (strings? bows? percussion type?) and voices, everything. And of all the performer-interpreters (while there are of course many of them -- soloists, concert artists, chamber and orchestral musicians too), at least for me most of the vital functions are condensed and gathered under the role of the conductor. So I think we are right in debating which conductor is able to bring a composer through to the listener, which not. There are several good examples of both.

So the point about Abbado illustrates the dilemma I wanted to talk about quite well, in my view.

It may very well be that if I listened to this set of Mozart symphonies that TRULY seem to be the core issue here...

No; the core issue is what I just said it is (at least to me). This too was brought up just as something symptomatic of the "crisis of criticism" that I think we see today.

My interest is with composers, not artists (for artists, I much prefer jazz).

Probably the same is true about all of us; why else would we frequent a Mahler board? While we like to discuss recordings, it's always through the spectre of the composer and the composed work itself, I believe. In jazz, all there is to talk about is the one-time document that's unrepeatable (in the sense of being un-redoable) and accessible only through its singular appearance (the tape of that particular performance) thanks to the predominance of the performer and the performance situation.

I really feel that if this is going to be taken to the level of grilling the so-called professional critic because you feel that there's some crusade-like need to do so,

Come on, Barry; if there is a crusade I don't think I'm the one waging it. As I said there is a broader and in my view more important background interest in the topics broached, and DH's opinions I addressed only as an illustration. Just like he is doing with other posters' opinions. Besides, I don't think your professional critic needs any support from the flanks; he seems perfectly confident about his personal abilities to put "Europeans" in their place where need be, even if it be in the cultural capital of the musically most intelligent nation of that continent  :).

...the two of you should take the dispute OFF THE AIR.

That's fine of course if so desired. You are right in that it's gotten to a territory that seems a bit flammable, I guess.

Last but not the least: Greetings to all from the aestival Northeast Atlantic seaboard! The sun was so bright I thought of Mahler but once every day ("Nun will die Sonn so hell ausgehn...").

Just kidding. To be honest, it was like this instead:

The Swedish Bikini Team came calling one afternoon when we got the music going.

-PT
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 12:35:52 PM by Polarius T »

Polarius T

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2008, 12:11:32 PM »
...the syndrome I see here: "He attacked my favorite artist's work, therefore I now have license to attack him personally and professionally."

I'm not going to bite. Instead pls see my reply to Barry in which -- for the third or fourth time -- I'm trying to spell out clearly what I wanted to talk about.

Besides, Abbado is not my "favorite artist."  :D

And even if he were, we all know that what record critics talk about matters very little in the world outside of the small circle of the collector types (and even they tend to be quite critical and independent-thinking in this era of free information flow). Although it can bring some passing fame on the "Joyce Hattos" of the music world. In the bigger scheme the role has become more of an entertainer, less of an enlightener, I'd say.

But 'nuff said already.

-PT
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 12:23:38 PM by Polarius T »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2008, 02:56:57 PM »
I'd rather get back to that Swedish bikini team. Some of the female Swedish soccer (football everywhere else - lets please both sides of the Atlantic) fans are pretty amazing too.   8)

Offline alpsman

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2008, 07:46:57 PM »
Wow, the bikini team is the new Valkyries for next Bayreuth? Who audition them? Katarina and Cristian(Thielemann)? :D

Polarius T

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2008, 12:18:12 PM »
I'd rather get back to that Swedish bikini team. Some of the female Swedish soccer (football everywhere else - lets please both sides of the Atlantic) fans are pretty amazing too.   8)

Myself I'm a fan of the Polish women's national handball team, big time.

-PT

Polarius T

« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2008, 12:20:52 PM »
Wow, the bikini team is the new Valkyries for next Bayreuth? Who audition them? Katarina and Cristian(Thielemann)? :D

I always thought there was something special in our local opera company's Wagner productions.

But this being the Nordic countries even the Valkyries are on vacation right now even if already on their seventh week.

-PT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk