Author Topic: Medici Arts dvd of Abbado/LFO M3 - very good!!!  (Read 17237 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Medici Arts dvd of Abbado/LFO M3 - very good!!!
« on: September 27, 2008, 10:00:35 AM »
Claudio Abbado has always kept a special place in his heart for Mahler's 3rd symphony. Whether you, as the listener, share the exact same view of it is another topic. Unfortunately, his two commercial recordings of M3 for DG suffered from exact opposite problems. The 1980 Vienna one was a very early digital recording, and suffered from a very exaggerated dynamic range. In order to hear the softest parts clearly, the loud parts could blow you right out of the room. As if to fix that problem, DG overshot their mark on Abbado's Berlin Phil. remake, recorded live in London. That one is the perfect Mahler 3 if you own a restaurant, since the dynamic range isn't much wider than - ohhh, let's say - Vivaldi's "Four Seasons". Fortunately, this 2007 performance from the Lucerne Festival, captured on an excellent looking and sounding DVD, gets it just right.

Here, the dynamic range is still very wide, but you can discern the softest parts - assuming that nobody is running the vacuum in your house - without getting complaints from your neighbors over the loudest bits (assuming that they're not just on the other side of the nearest wall). And while Abbado still has a tendency to want to "over prettify" things here and there, the performance is mostly outstanding. Both the trombone solo and offstage "posthorn" solo are excellent, with Abbado keeping the proceedings flowing along nicely during the long posthorn solos (3rd movement). The vocal and choral aspects are outstanding as well. Anna Larsson sounds as good here as she ever has in Mahler 3, and the Tolzer Knabenchor can sing circles around the world-famous Wiener Sangerknaben anyday; at least, in Mahler 3, anyway. And what of Abbado?     .     .      . 

Well, I've seen Abbado conduct M3 in London, and I've seen him on numerous videos and dvd's. I feel that this was the best conducting job I've ever seen him do. I've often times found Abbado difficult to watch, as I find myself troubling over just exactly where the beat is, as well as what it is that he's wanting when his hands begin trembling, and he has that look of wanting something more - or something different - and not being able to communicate just what it is that he's looking for. I didn't see any of that here.

I felt that Abbado had full command from start to finish, and that anybody could have deciphered just exactly what he was wanting at any particular moment. And by the way, there was no score or stand in front of him. I also noticed something else unusual too - something having to do with these very same players. There was no swaying of torsos all about the room!!! Perhaps it was just a matter of camera placement this time, but I didn't see the entire string section swaying about the room like some kind of giant, collective Mixmaster churning around pastry dough. You might feel that this is a trivial issue, but I seriously found his Mahler 5 DVD hard to watch for this very reason. I was getting seasick! No such problem here.

I'd like to comment about one other aspect: the end of the symphony. Here, Abbado somewhat tones down the two sets of timpani, but not nearly so much as he did in his earlier Vienna recording (which just sounded waaay too mushy). He gets a fairly lovely brass sound as well: saturated; noble sounding, and without detectable strain - just as Mahler prescribes. I also think that he judges the length of the final chord just right: long, but not TOO long (he held it for all eternity in his Vienna recording). By and large, the camera work is excellent here.

John, Todd,

You two will definitely want to add this one to your collection.

Barry

« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 10:16:56 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: Medici Arts dvd of Abbado/LFO M3 - very good!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 04:30:09 PM »
This is very exciting news Barry...thanks for the thoughtful review!  I will definitely pick this up as soon as I can.

--Todd

john haueisen

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 11:09:23 PM »
Ditto to Todd's comment.  Barry's review has me wanting to hear (and see) this Abbado M3.
John H

Offline Psanquin

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 02:05:12 AM »
So far I have only enjoyed the TV broadcast in arte channel. I love this performance, which I feel goes from less to more. The Final Langsam is an Abaddo’s speciality and it is so moving as in his previous recordings. I also felt that softening of the percussion in the very end. It makes a big difference with the standard triumphal ending. A sign of resignation or acquiescence from Abbado?

I have one question. Has been edited the tremendous false entry of Anna Larsson in the fourth movement? Incredible in a singer so familiar with this piece.

Offline Dave H

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 02:45:08 AM »
Re: Anna Larsson:
Hmmm. Didn't you just say: "Nowadays it is almost impossible to find technical flubs or slips in any recording, even in pseudo “live” recordings."

Dave H

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 06:09:19 AM »
I didn't notice a wrong or false entry on Larsson's part. I'll will check that out again. Is it right at the very start, or further in?

Offline Psanquin

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 09:46:18 AM »
Re: Anna Larsson:
Hmmm. Didn't you just say: "Nowadays it is almost impossible to find technical flubs or slips in any recording, even in pseudo “live” recordings."

??? Dave, what I have told absolutely confirm my point. In the real concert, broadcast by arte, Anna Larsson commits an embarrasing mistake which according to Barry has been edited out in the DVD. I can't imagine how the engineers have managed to do it .

Barry, If you did not notice it, even at a first viewing, sure it was edited out. It is terribly evident. Fortunately Abbado reacts swiftly but it is late enough. It happens at the beginning -I have not here the tape; when I got back home I'll cut it and upload to the forum, so you will be able to compare it with the commercial recording.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 09:49:16 AM by Psanquin »

john haueisen

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 01:39:50 PM »
This is just the speculation of a novice, but is it possible that Amazon's cancellation of pre-orders of this work was because of delays brought about by the need to edit out a false entry?  Production delay for editting?
--John H

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 02:54:37 PM »
So is this available commercially yet? 
Scott

john haueisen

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 03:40:12 PM »
Amazon.com had it listed as a "pre-order" until a couple of days ago.
I saw it listed as available from ArkivMusic.com, but when I ordered it there, I was given a message that it is on backorder.
--John H

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 06:19:13 AM »
It's to be released this Tuesday through Naxos. I was lucky enough to get an advance copy.

As for the mistake on Ms. Larsson's part, it might be there. I might have dozed off slightly at that point. I'll look at the fourth movement again and report back. I was truly awake for ALL of the other movements. The 2nd movement is excellent, and while the 1st movement could have used a tad more muscle here and there, Abbado really whips up the "southern storm" passage. It's just as fast as when he did it with the VPO, but the playing is much cleaner and clearer with the LFO. The coda to the first movement is quite good too. However, the two big tam-tam smashes in the first movement - the one at the end of the trombone solo (which becomes a quartet), and the other located at the coda - could have been stronger.

Offline Psanquin

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 08:32:22 AM »
I might have dozed off slightly at that point.

It would have woken you up  ;)

Don't worry actually I have watched this japanish youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phBi9QSAlVU&feature=related of the DVD and it is wiped out.

Offline je-b

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 10:08:49 PM »
... and here's a video clip of the 4th movement which still includes the mistake Larsson made, being the original and unedited arte-TV broadcast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCEr2mWhYs8

I don't mean to post this in order to make fun of anyone involved, as I greatly liked Anna Larsson's contribution to this indeed very, very wonderful recording. But Abbado's immediate reaction at 2:07 is quite priceless in its brief display of panic. ;) But he sure knows this piece really inside out.
"Ich leb' allein in meinem Himmel,
 In meinem Lieben, in meinem Lied!"

john haueisen

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 12:28:22 PM »
Thanks for posting the you-tube clip, je-b.
Poor Claudio--that flash of panic, the instant reaction to a false entry.
Perhaps I'll sound as though I'm making excuses for Anna Larsson, but my thought is that she watches conductors so intently that when Abbado cued the orchestra, she took it as her cue.  I know--soloists are supposed to hold their own, but I've observed Larsson to be so sympathetic to a conductor's interpretation that the "error" is more understandable in that context.
--John H

Offline Fafner

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2008, 07:46:01 PM »

??? Dave, what I have told absolutely confirm my point. In the real concert, broadcast by arte, Anna Larsson commits an embarrasing mistake which according to Barry has been edited out in the DVD. I can't imagine how the engineers have managed to do it .

That's easy...Abbado performed Mahler's Third twice in Lucerne, and both performances were filmed (most likely even the final rehearsal was filmed). Larsson's mistake was on the second evening, and that's the concert Arte broadcasted that same evening, with an about 30min delay.
The available material has been more than enough to hide that mistake (and some other small glitches in the live orchestral playing) in the final product. Don't know why it's so hard to find this DVD around...at this year's Lucerne Festival there were plenty available for purchase.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 07:48:33 PM by Fafner »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk