Author Topic: DH gives 7/8 for Gergiev/LSO/LSO M3rd SACD  (Read 15966 times)

Offline John Kim

Re: DH gives 7/8 for Gergiev/LSO/LSO M3rd SACD
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2008, 04:46:28 PM »
I really like his last movement. It's not so much that he's fast until the very end of the symphony. Instead, if you really pay attention, you'll observe that he pushes forward to the symphony's last cymbal crash. At that spot, he's suddenly a bit more broad in tempo, rather than pushing ahead even more. As I said before, if had done just a bit more of a ritardando in the final few bars of the symphony, that would have been really sweet - the effect that he was striving for really would have come off.

Really, it's such a more positive; more forthright; more energetic, and less pious or devout way of looking at the symphony.
I know which spot you're referring to. I like that touch too. I also like several pauses he put to make the music sound profound; there are indeed places, especially in the finale, that could benefit from such a treatment and Gergiev did it well.

In a way, Gergive's M3rd resembles Kubelik's old recording on DG and Audite (but in better sound) and this was exactly what I have been looking for lately.

John,

Offline John Kim

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2008, 04:15:50 PM »
Although I like this new M3rd quite a lot, I must take an issue with the sound quality. Compared to Gergiev's first recording in this cycle, M6th, it's sonics are rather two dimensional lacking depth and warmth. Also, the dynamic range seems to be somewhat compressed in climactic passages, especially near the end of Finale. That it is closed-up sound may have to do with these drawbacks. But I have listend to it only in regular CD layer, so I don't know how it would sound in the SACD format.

John,

Offline John Kim

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2008, 04:55:16 AM »
I am listening to the stereo SACD track of the first movt and must confess that I like the sound much better this time :D

The sonics improve mainly thanks to the increased dynamic range whic opens up both ends of the frequency spectrum, stronger bass, and warmer acoustics, although overall it still sounds a bit too close. But it is a major improvement when switched from the CD layer to the SACD layer.

John,

Offline John Kim

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2008, 05:24:14 AM »
Actually, the sound on the SACD layer is really excellent. It has lots of details that I didn't hear in the CD layer. More importantly, it now puts everything in three dimensional perspective adding depth and warmth. The lower ends in the bass, e.g., bass drum, timpani, are terrific, as are those tiny tremolos in the strings. I just wish the sound were not that close.

John,

Offline brunumb

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2008, 11:30:41 PM »
HMV Japan have indicated that Gergiev's M2, coupled with the Adagio from M10 will be released on 20th January 2009.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 09:14:17 PM by brunumb »

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2008, 04:36:50 AM »
I bought the Gergiev M3 today..thanks all for the reviews here...I can't wait to listen for myself very soon (I've been listening to Abbado's new M3 first).

I've been looking for a M3 with good flow in the middle movements and Finale...I hope this satisfies...the new Abbado flows just right.

--Todd

P.S. Where is everybody?

« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 09:31:52 PM by Leo K »

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2008, 01:49:53 PM »
The Gergiev M3 sounds better with each listen...a very raw sounding performance...very refreshing,with much more impact than the Rogner, which this recording reminds me of because of the quick "raw" flow though each movement.  Gergiev's Finale is breathtaking...  :)

--Todd

Offline John Kim

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2008, 04:47:53 PM »
Todd,

I am glad you've been impressed with the Gergiev M3.

Try listening on SACD layer as it will generate a deeper, wider sound stage with a lot more warmth and details. It sounds significantly better than the CD layer.

I like the performance and playing of LSO. It has become one of my favorite versions.

Cheers.

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk