Author Topic: Philly M8  (Read 3600 times)

Offline Ben

Philly M8
« on: May 04, 2008, 05:53:59 PM »
So, any news on this weekend's performances of M8 with Eschenbach in Philadelphia?  I'm curious to hear of any reports.

Ben

Offline cilea

Re: Philly M8
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 09:50:10 AM »
It seems that the Philadelphia Orchestra-Ondine partnerships will end after the departure of Christoph Eschenbach. It is also stated that their much anticipated recording of Mahler's Eight Symphony is currently "under review". Here's an excerpt from an article in the Philadelphia Inquirer:

"After the meeting, [the PO's President and CEO James] Undercofler said the orchestra's 2005 10-CD deal with the Finnish label Ondine would yield two or three more releases. Slated for distribution are a Tchaikovsky compilation and Mahler's Symphony No. 2. Still under review is a recording of the Mahler Symphony No. 8.

Of the orchestra's run with Ondine, he said, 'That's likely to be the end of the relationship.'"

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/local/pa/20080920_Changes_abound_for_Phila__Orchestra.html

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 03:57:44 PM »
"Of the orchestra's run with Ondine, he said, 'That's likely to be the end of the relationship.'"

Of course, because Eschenbach will be gone, more or less, and Dutoit has already recorded everything under the sun except Mahler. And who needs a Mahler cycle from him?!? Also, American orchestras - great as they can often times be - are very expensive to record. I'm hoping that they'll issue the M8 for one reason, and reason only: the ending of Part II will probably be unbelievable! (that organ is amazing!)

Offline Dave H

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 10:29:37 PM »
Cost is not the issue--the orchestra owns the recording the new contract allows them to record for peanuts. Anyway, I saw the 8th at Carnegie and it was very, very mediocre.

Dave H

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 02:04:34 AM »
.    .    .   yeah but Verizon Hall and THAT organ will play an amazing part, so let them issue it.

B.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk