Poll

Which is your favorite version of Mahler's 1st recorded in analog?

Abravenal Utah
0 (0%)
Bernstein NYPO
0 (0%)
Giulini Chicago
5 (25%)
Haitink Concertgebouw
0 (0%)
Horenstein LSO
1 (5%)
Kubelik BRSO
6 (30%)
Leinsdorf BSO
1 (5%)
Levine LSO
3 (15%)
Ormandy PO
0 (0%)
Solti LSO
3 (15%)
Walter Columbia Symphony
1 (5%)
Boult LPO
0 (0%)
Morris New Phil Orch
0 (0%)
Leinsdorf RPO
0 (0%)
Mehta Israel Phil
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Analog Recordings of Mahler 1  (Read 6503 times)

Offline TomR

Analog Recordings of Mahler 1
« on: October 07, 2009, 05:39:48 PM »
Guys, I am  a charter subscriber of The Tape Project (see www.tapeproject.com) and I am campaigning to have a version of Mahler's Symphony 1 in Series 3 - I began my lobbying efforts when I returned from hearing the San Francisco Symphony play an overwhelming performance  - yes, I know that many on this board don't like MTT's interpretations, but the night I went it was really something special. At any rate, Mahler 1 would fit the Tape Project format (which is tape, obviously, 15 ips 2 track, IEC equalization).

One of the Tape Project's rules is that recordings must have been recorded using analog technology - I am not going into the whys of that, they are much more eloquent about this than I am, but that means that a Mahler 1st would have had to have been recorded prior to the late 70' to be an eligible candidate - what I have listed in the poll are what I have gleaned as the stereo, analog based recordings - it may not be a complete list, as I had to augment my info source (www.arkivmusic.com) with memory, always a bad sign!

It would be great to have the poll results on this from the inmates on this board, and also it would be great if you could share your reasoning.

Thanks in advance!

Tom

Offline david johnson

Re: Analog Recordings of Mahler 1
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 10:03:24 AM »
Leinsdorf BSO, but some of those others are fantastic!

dj

Offline Damfino

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 01:50:13 PM »
I voted for Levine, as it was the main M1 I listened to in the LP days. I always thought the horns had particular punch at the symphony's end. I also have quite a few of the others on the list, which are also outstanding.

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 01:52:03 PM »
Definitely the Horenstein LSO.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 03:27:11 PM »
I voted for the Guilini, although I also like the Leinsdorf, Levine, and Solti. I wanted to vote for all three but it didn't allow me to :-[.

John,

Offline Russell

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 06:27:50 PM »
It was hard to choose from that list, as I like so many of them.  I ended up selecting the tried-and-true Kubelik--few conductors have matched his really bright and sunny approach in the first movement.  But then I also like Leinsdorf, Walter, Giulini, and Haitink (and note there are 2 Haitink analog recordings!).  Frankly, I've always thought the Horenstein was overrated, but I haven't heard it in quite a while, so I might feel differently now...... :)

Russell

Offline John Kim

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 07:18:27 PM »
Definitely the Horenstein LSO.

The Horenstein sounds great although it is an old person's view. The timpani is certainly overmiked resulting in sonic distortion in loud passages that accompany the instrument.

John,

Offline TomR

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 02:24:13 AM »
Russell, you are right - two analog recordings from Haitink, '62 and '72 - looks like he had a go twice in digital as well!  Has to be a record!

I'm missing some others - certainly Morris from the 70's, and possibly Scherchen, Barbirolli and Boult from the 50's - trying to see if those are stereo or not. Also one or two others......I'll edit the poll when I find out. Need more votes (and reasons)!

Thanks.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 04:49:24 AM »
Haitink's '62 M1 did not have an exposition repeat in the first movement, while the '72 remake did. FYI.

Offline TomR

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 05:28:50 AM »
Thanks, Barry - good info! Did you vote?

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 05:31:14 AM »
Giulini/CSO - still my favorite M1 with the CSO (love Boulez in the last too movements, but his scherzo is simply too fast for my liking).

Offline wagnerlover

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 04:17:40 PM »
I like both Kubelik's DG (studio) M1 and his Audite (live) M1.  Of my analog choices (few, as I came to Mahler later in life,  in the past 15 years) I listen to both of these often.   Most that I have are digital,and some I'm not sure of the technology (like the Haitink Kerstmatinee recording, which I also like).

db

Offline TomR

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 06:55:09 PM »
Does anyone have information on how the Kubelik Audite Mahler 1 was made? It comes from a live performance in 1979 - so could have been recorded digitally or with analog equipment.  The SPARS code for this seems to be ADD, which if correct would mean it was recorded with analog equipment but digitally mixed. I suspect that would eliminate it from Tape Project consideration - but maybe the original analog tapes are available - one can dream.

Offline waderice

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 11:58:45 PM »
I didn't vote in this poll, because I like many of the various recordings included, each one having what I feel are advantages and faults at numerous points in the score.  Sonically, each recording varies from one to the other, and that is why I do not let sonics be the primary factor in my preferences, though I would want the best possible quality in the finished product.  But it needs to be remembered by all that whatever recording gets to be selected for 2-track, 15-ips reel-to-reel analog treatment, the end product will depend on (1) the willingness of the owner of the master tape and the producer of the copies to come to a agreement, ironing out all contractual particulars, such as release by the artists and their royalties; (2) the quality of the master tape provided by the owner for the production copies; and (3) the production criteria and quality control followed in the production of the copies.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 12:01:43 AM by waderice »

Offline TomR

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 02:54:28 PM »
I didn't vote in this poll, because I like many of the various recordings included, each one having what I feel are advantages and faults at numerous points in the score.  Sonically, each recording varies from one to the other, and that is why I do not let sonics be the primary factor in my preferences, though I would want the best possible quality in the finished product.  But it needs to be remembered by all that whatever recording gets to be selected for 2-track, 15-ips reel-to-reel analog treatment, the end product will depend on (1) the willingness of the owner of the master tape and the producer of the copies to come to a agreement, ironing out all contractual particulars, such as release by the artists and their royalties; (2) the quality of the master tape provided by the owner for the production copies; and (3) the production criteria and quality control followed in the production of the copies.

Sure - check out www.tapeproject.com for more info how they are managing these issues. The end product (11 releases thus far) is pretty spectacular.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk