Author Topic: Herbig/National Symphony of Taiwan M6  (Read 5224 times)

Offline Michael

• Adagio Appassionato, Addolorato A Niente
    • My Railroad Audio Recordings
Herbig/National Symphony of Taiwan M6
« on: August 14, 2011, 12:29:48 PM »
Hi guys,

I found a recording of Gunther Herbig conducting the National Symphony Orchestra of Taiwan in a performance of M6 on HDTracks yesterday morning: https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HD4710887870004

I have not listened to the entire thing (I plan to do that in the near future), but I have listened to parts of all four movements...and I was very impressed by what I heard.  The stereo field (and natural balance of this recording are one of its highlights.  There is a great left-to-right spread, and the recording is a close-up--so you can hear every little detail.  The percussion is very audible, and as a bonus they are positioned in different locations on the stage.  (The timps are in the middle, and the bells, hammer and other instruments are to the far left.)

As far as timings...the HD Tracks website is wrong.  Timings are as follows:
Allegro - 17:58 (no repeat)
Scherzo - 13:13
Andante - 14:34
Finale - 31:45

I'll report more later.
Michael

Offline ysph

Re: Herbig/National Symphony of Taiwan M6
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 11:50:35 PM »
I just came across this recording, and am interested to know what you found. It seems Herbig has done well with M6 previously. I wonder how this one compares with 96/24 recordings of other performances?

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 05:20:20 PM »
The timings look very close to his earlier recording with a German Radio Orch (available on Berlin Classic?)

I Like Herbig's M6th on that label very much.

John

Offline Don

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 01:07:23 AM »
I am listening to this on Naxos Music Library, which just added it this week. A very fine performance, maybe just a bit low intensity but full of great detail as was noted. Since I have just a "near CD quality" Naxos subscription (comes with my Kansas City SO season tickets) I can not critique the sound, but suffice to say it sounded pretty darn good even at the lower quality. Nothing out of sorts or radical, but a finely done, enjoyable M6. Recommended.
M10 Fanatic!

Offline Don

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 01:20:20 AM »
The Andante is wonderful.  :)
M10 Fanatic!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk