Author Topic: Walter's M2 reissued by Sony Japan  (Read 7886 times)

Offline Russell

Walter's M2 reissued by Sony Japan
« on: July 13, 2009, 08:20:47 PM »
Don't know if this is old news or not, but Sony Japan has reissued Bruno Walter's 1958 NYP M2 in a DSD-remastered 'Blu-spec CD' (which is Sony's answer to SHM-CD and HQ-CD). A friend of mine has a copy, which I just saw, so I know it's real. ;D Apparently it's been out since last month. I had been hoping that Sony would release this on SACD, but it seems less and less likely. At least this one's been remastered in DSD (indicated on the back cover), and it should sound pretty good.  I just ordered a copy (not cheap!) and can report back on how it sounds compared to the regular domestic CD release, if anyone's interested.

Info on the M2:

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/product/detail/3568030

Info about Blu-spec CD:

http://www.eastwindimport.com/default.asp?categoryname=Blu-spec+CD

Russell
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 09:43:33 PM by Russell »

Offline John Kim

Re: Walter's M2 reissued by Sony Japan
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 08:45:42 PM »
Yes, Walter's NYPO recording is probably the most 'moving' reading of this mammoth work.

John,

Offline techniquest

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 09:56:29 PM »
I have never heard of a blu-spec CD! Is this the audio equivalent of the Blu-Ray discs for movies? I suppose it requires dedicated, expensive equipment too, but I also bet that M2 will sound superb!

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 11:24:05 PM »
A Blu-spec CD meets red-book specifications and is playable on any standard CD player. They simply use different techniques in its manufacture (techniques developed during research on the Blu-ray DVD), including "blue laser diode cutting technology" and a "new high-polymer polycarbonate" substrate material. This is said to "reduce errors and jitter" [during playback] and result in a "more open, vivid, and realistic sound that is closer in quality to the master tapes."

How much difference all this will really make is anybody's guess; I suspect the improvements will be modest at best, but let your ears be the judge.

James

P.S.  Of course, when they do a remastering job at the same time they apply these "Blu-spec" manufacturing techniques, it's impossible to know which contributed what to any change in sound that might obtain.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 05:57:48 AM by James Meckley »
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline Amphissa

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 06:42:11 PM »

Well, it is available domestically from Amazon. A real bargain at $47.50.

"Life without music is a mistake." Nietzsche

Offline John Kim

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 09:04:44 PM »
A Blu-spec CD meets red-book specifications and is playable on any standard CD player. They simply use different techniques in its manufacture (techniques developed during research on the Blu-ray DVD), including "blue laser diode cutting technology" and a "new high-polymer polycarbonate" substrate material. This is said to "reduce errors and jitter" [during playback] and result in a "more open, vivid, and realistic sound that is closer in quality to the master tapes."

How much difference all this will really make is anybody's guess; I suspect the improvements will be modest at best, but let your ears be the judge.

James

P.S.  Of course, when they do a remastering job at the same time they apply these "Blu-spec" manufacturing techniques, it's impossible to know which contributed what to any change in sound that might obtain.

Two questions:

1) So, is Blu-spec CD playable on BOTH standard CD players and Blue-ray players?
2) If yes, which player will produce better sound? Blue-ray?

John,

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 09:34:13 PM »
As I understand it, a Blu-spec CD is nothing more than a standard CD manufactured to tighter tolerances. It will play on all standard CD players. It will also play on any Blu-ray DVD player that can play standard CDs, although I can see no advantage in doing so unless the DVD player in question has better D/A converters than your standard CD player. The nomenclature strikes me as an unfortunate (but very likely intentional) confusion of two separate technologies; in other words, a marketing gimmick.

James
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 10:04:04 PM by James Meckley »
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline bruce

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 09:09:44 PM »
I know this comes up periodically, but does anyone on this board have access to a cd of the 1970 Bernstein Cleveland Orchestra M2? It was once on a First Classics Cd, but that label is apparently defunct. I would really like to obtain a copy. Suggestions?

Offline Russell

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 09:46:44 PM »
Well, I received the Walter M2 Blu-spec CD the other day and have compared it to the domestic Bruno Walter Edition 20-bit remastered CD (c. 1995) as well as the more recently issued CD in the Original Jacket Collection box set.  Both of the domestic CDs seem to have been derived from the same master, as they had similar sonic characteristics (though the Original Jacket CD was slightly louder).  I've never been happy with the sound of the domestic CDs compared to what I remember from the old Odyssey LPs, and this was borne out in my listening comparisons: both of the domestic CDs sounded heavily filtered, especially when the music is at low-to-moderate levels. By contrast, the Blu-spec CD sounded wide open, MUCH more detailed, and with greater presence--it wasn't even close.  The Blu-spec CD also had a lot more hiss--an indication that no (or less) filtering was applied--but with a concomitant increase in detail and 'air'.  Instruments that were muffled or recessed before have now been brought back out.  The organ (probably electronic) at the end just absolutely engulfs the listening room.  (It's one of the more ecstatic M2 endings that I know of--now sounding better than ever.)  I've always thought this early stereo recording (1958) had great sound for its time, but I hadn't realized just how good it was until I heard this CD--it's comparable to the RCA Living Stereo efforts from the era.  If I had to nit-pick, I'd say that it's a little closer-mic'd than I would like, and it also lacks a bit of front-to-back depth, but overall it's a HUGE improvement over the domestic release.

I'm pretty certain that the superiority of the Blu-spec CD is due to a much better remastering (in DSD) and not to the Blu-spec manufacturing process itself (though that certainly couldn't hurt).  I don't read Japanese, but there was an indication of "DSD" and "1999" on the "obi strip" of the CD, which I take to mean that the remastering was done in that year. Perhaps this was done in preparation for an SACD release?  We'll never know, but this Blu-spec CD is the next best thing.

The only drawback to this CD is that it's available only from Japan and that it's on 2 discs with no "filler".  At 3500 yen plus shipping, it's pretty expensive, but if you like this performance (as I do) and only have it on a domestic CD, you really haven't heard it to its best advantage.

Russell
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 09:52:33 PM by Russell »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk