Author Topic: Haitink Mahler 4  (Read 5710 times)

Offline cilea

Haitink Mahler 4
« on: July 03, 2007, 12:06:45 PM »
RCO Live is about to release a Mahler 4 with Bernard Haitink conducting and Christine Schäfer as soloist. For details, see:

http://sa-cd.net/showtitle/4698

The concerts, from which this new SACD was captured, also had in the their first half Mahler's Das Lied von der Erde (with Anna Larson and Robert Dean Smith). I hope it was, too, recorded and will be released in future.

Offline John Kim

Re: Haitink Mahler 4
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 05:25:50 PM »
Why not a Mahler Ninth instead??

Why would the world need another M4th?

A Haitink conducted Mahler 9th is way overdue; the last time he officially recorded it was 1969 and Philips aborted his Mahler cycle when he was about to record the work with BPO.

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 06:24:59 PM »
Why not a Mahler Ninth instead??

Why would the world need another M4th?

A Haitink conducted Mahler 9th is way overdue; the last time he officially recorded it was 1969 and Philips aborted his Mahler cycle when he was about to record the work with BPO.

John,

I agree.

--Leo

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 07:59:50 PM »
I've got a DVD of both of these performances that I believe is sourced from a TV rip (D/L'd from Usenet).  The performances are both quite good.  Schafer is a good solist in the 4th, as of course is Anna Larsson in DLvdE.   I've always liked Haitink's live 4th DVD with the BPO and like this one equally well.  Haitink is also very good at DLvdE, as his commercial RCOA and his 1995 Mahlerfest are two of my favorites.

I would like to see BOTH of these on RCOA-label SACDs. 
Scott

Offline vvrinc

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 12:17:13 AM »
I know I am quite late to the party but I've just heard this recording. It’s a very beautifully played and moving interpretation (one big, tacky “whoop” and a touch of the ham-it-up school from Ms. Shafer, notwithstanding). I've played it through twice today–a custom I usually reserve for a new 5th, 6th, 7th, or 9th.

I've never understood Haitink's Mahler (RCOA and Berlin series)–the most recent Chicago issues I've simply found appalling (boring). Of the many things (mostly German repertoire) I've heard from him, I have preferred, interestingly enough, his Vaughan-Williams and Tchaikovsky cycles. :-[

Like many here have wished already, I'd like to hear a new M9 from him.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 07:01:28 AM »
I was also pleasantly surprised by Haitink's latest RCOA M4. I've decided to keep it.

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 03:58:47 PM »
I also decided to keep it...it is a very pleasant performance and the sonics are very fine.

--Todd

Offline GL

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 06:46:14 PM »
Having heard all Haitink's last Mahler recordings, I suspect the merits of this Fourth are all attributable to the fabulous RCO.

L.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 07:18:53 PM »
.   .   that, and the fact that he doesn't conduct too slow this time. Truly, slow tempi have become his main problem.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk