Author Topic: Anyone attend the Colorado Mahlerfest last week?  (Read 4705 times)

Offline hrandall

Anyone attend the Colorado Mahlerfest last week?
« on: May 25, 2011, 06:14:57 PM »
I'm curious if any of you attended the Colorado Mahlerfest last week? If so, how was it? Or if not this year, and you've gone in a previous year, did you find it worthwhile? I'd like to go sometime, but this year I had a schedule conflict. Any rumors on what next year's program will be?

Best,
Herb
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 08:22:48 PM by hrandall »

Offline Jot N. Tittle

• Meine Zeit wird noch kommen.
Re: Anyone attend the Colorado Mahlerfest last week?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 07:28:04 PM »
Hello, Herb--

I did not attend this year but I have in the past. My impression is that it is very much a local affair, notwithstanding the distance that some orchestra members and symposium contributors have come to attend. What I mean by that is that the planners and organizers--mostly if not all--were local folks. They work hard and probably make sacrifices along the way, no doubt about that. But from what I could see, there was no interest in or effort to make it an event of, say, national interest. To be sure, they will welcome financial contributions; but they have no system of "membership" such as categories of contributors that similar organizations have. So their public exposure is somewhat limited.

When orchestras, public radio and television stations and the like have fund drives they usually do it by seeking "members" even though the advantages of membership (linked to the amount contributed) have nothing to do with making decisions, determining policy, or voting on anything. Nevertheless such "memberships" are valued by contributors and do bring in needed money.

It may well be that there simply are not enough people known to the founding group who are interested in taking on the hard and persistent work such an effort would require. I think there were some changes made in the Board of Directors last year through retirements, but the sense of local dominance remains. (I find it rather odd on the web site that the Board is listed under the link "Contact Us" rather than in "Home" or "About Us.")

The founder and artistic director, Robert Olson, does a magnificent job of preparing an orchestra that meets for a few days only once a year--and not always the same performers. One wonders what will become of the organization when he retires or can no longer direct.

Fie were king, the web site would be juiced up with more interactive features and links to the rest of the Mahler world; and there would be a newsletter of some sort for members--yes, there would be members. Clearly more people need to be involved. Outsiders, however, need not apply--that is the impression one might get.

Nevertheless, Herb, you and a lot of other people ought to attend and let the Board know about it.

(This is only my opinion. I would like to hear whether anyone else shares in my observation or whether it matters.)

. & '

Offline waderice

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 12:16:54 AM »
I used to get their twice-a-year brochure, but this year, didn't get one, as I suppose they needed to cut costs, and I couldn't and can't afford to travel the 2,000 miles to Colorado Springs to take in the festival.  I have bought a couple of CDs from their Mahler performances in the past, such as the Clinton Carpenter (I think that is the arranger) of M10 and their M8.  I agree that this is very much a local affair, and though they have attracted big names in the Mahler idiom over the years, I think this is starting to fade.  Too bad they are so far flung from any major cultural city to make it worthwhile to travel to.

Wade

Offline mike bosworth

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 05:05:14 AM »
I couldn't attend this year but I have been to two recent Mahlerfests (2008 DkL, 2009 M8).  Both times the long journey from southeast Asia was well worth it.  I particularly enjoyed watching how the original 1880 3-part version of DkL was put together from the ground up, coupled with interesting seminars and chamber music performances.  The M8 was also well produced, but in my opinion would have benefitted from larger choral forces (the earlier M10 was the Wheeler version).

At the time of my first M-Fest the organisers had already formed various levels/categories of contributors, who are recognized in the M-Fest programs.  This year the M-Fest was forced to compete with the many high-profile Mahler events taking place in Europe at the same time, and was also working with a number of new board members as they try to 're-brand' the event (and improve the website) entering their third cycle.

Boulder is a very pleasant place to visit and the University of Colorado a nice campus with an impressive concert venue.

I don't have final confirmation, but I have heard that M-Fest will be doing M2 in 2012.

Mike Bosworth
(singing in the chorus for 2 performances of "Carmen" on stage at the Hanoi Opera House tonight and tomorrow)

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 06:38:27 AM »
The Colorado Mahlerfest used the Wheeler version for M10. Olson later made a studio recording of it in Poland for Naxos. I'm afraid I don't care for either of one of them, but it's more the version than the performances (I think).
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 08:40:58 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline hrandall

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 01:34:39 PM »
Thanks all for the replies. I have so far picked up the Colorado Mahlerfest CD's for M2, M8, and M9. I particularly enjoy their M8 & M9. There was a big deal made of their use of railroad bells in M2, but for me it was a bit of a letdown - they weren't nearly as audible in the recording as I would have liked. Makes me wonder how they sounded live. Not surprisingly, the later recordings have better sound quality.

I do like that they try to include rare works on their programs too. 

Anyway, if M2 is on the program next year, I think I will try to go.

Cheers,
Herb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk