Author Topic: Best M3 to "study"  (Read 5342 times)

Offline hrandall

Best M3 to "study"
« on: May 18, 2011, 09:02:43 PM »
Fellow Mahler-nuts! :)

I tend to listen widely to all the Mahler symphonies but then periodically select one to focus on and study, using the handy David Hurwitz book and the score. I've just started really getting into M3. I own the Bertini version from the EMI box set, and also the Bychkov one.

My question to you: is there a better (readily available!) version to study? Not necessarily your favorite performance, though it could be - but one that you feel might be most conducive to following along in the score & DH's guide?

Thanks,
Herb

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Best M3 to "study"
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 01:14:26 AM »
Herb,

The Bychkov M3 is about as clear as it gets. My only very, VERY slight complaint is that it's a somewhat broad reading. But the Avie recording quality is outstanding. If you can still find it, you might try the Chailly/Concertgebouw M3 on sacd (Decca). However, RCO Live will be issuing the Jansons/RCOA M3 sometime in the next few months (it should sound real good). The Bertini is quite good also, but is obviously a tad older. I'm looking forward to the Honeck/Pittsburgh S.O. M3 that will eventually reach here on the Exton label.

It's quite 'clear', but I would still avoid the MTT/SFSO one. Even though it's a poorer sounding recording, I greatly prefer his earlier LSO one (which had Janet Baker!). He permitted Mahler to speak for himself on his earlier recordings.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 01:31:21 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 08:24:06 PM »
Herb,

I would also strongly recommend that you look/listen to the Salonen/Dresden Staatskapelle M3 from the Leipzig Mahlerfest that's currently on ArteWebLive. It's right up there.

Offline hrandall

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 09:59:19 PM »
Barry,

I saw your link just before the live performance but it was lagging so badly I couldn't watch it. Now that the performance is done, the video seems to work much better for me. I'll check it out!

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers,
Herb

Offline stillivor

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 10:19:24 PM »
I'd have thought Haitink is good for study purposes as his reputation is so much for accuracy.

I have no idea how accurate his 3rd[s?] actually is/are.

Ivor

Offline Damfino

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 03:06:24 PM »
I do not have it, but wouldn't the Zander be a good one? Doesn't it include one of his discussion discs?

Dave

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 10:52:40 PM »
Yes, the Zander is fairly 'clear', but the Posthorn solo is distant to the point of being absurd - very difficult to hear. Also,the Philharmonia's Paiste tam-tam doesn't work so well for the series of rapid gong strokes during the "southern storm" fantasy section in the first movement (just before the Recap.) - a minor point, to be certain. One could a lot worse than Zander.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 03:02:33 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline hrandall

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 01:49:25 PM »
Thanks for the advice, everyone.

As for the Salonen/Dresden Staatskapelle M3 from the Leipzig Mahlerfest on ArteWebLive, I saw part of this and was greatly impressed. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be available any longer on ArteWebLive. Do these performances eventually end up on DVD? I wanted to go back and listen to the first movement again. I think the trombone player flubbed a note right at the end of his first big solo, but I wanted to go back and hear that again to be sure. Anyone else notice it?

For now, I've stuck with my Bychkov CD as my reference, though as Barry said, it is a bit broad. However, for a novice trying to follow the score, that's not necessarily a disadvantage. I also downloaded a copy of Chailly's M3, and really enjoy that performance. I think I need to hunt that CD down, or just get his box set (seems roughly the same price as trying to find just the M3 disc used). I also heard online a radio broadcast (I think) of Jansons/RCO - I assume part of which was used for the CD release. I think I will pick that one up when it's available on Amazon US. (soon, I hope? anyone know?)

I'm amazed as I spend more and more time with Mahler's symphonies, how many details are there to repay you for the time and effort you put into them. M3 is such a sprawling work, but I'm really finding that I enjoy it very much.

Cheers,
Herb

Offline Roffe

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 08:10:15 PM »
The only ones that are scheduled for DVD are M2 and M8 with the Gewandhausorchestra and Chailly. Yje other orchestras and/or conductors could be under contract with other record companies, so I guess it's some sort of copyright issue too.

Roffe

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk