Author Topic: Euroarts Blu-Ray Release of Abbado's Lucerne Festival Mahler Symphonies 1-7  (Read 8192 times)

Offline waderice

Though the Abbado Lucerne Festival Mahler symphony cycle of nos. 1-7 is a welcome Blu-Ray release, isn't it premature?  Since its release, Abbado has committed Symphony No. 9 to disk and it isn't included with the cycle of Symphonies Nos. 1-7.  Also, he has yet to do Symphony No. 8 and (I might guess) either the Adagio from Symphony No. 10 or one of the numerous performing versions.  Can anyone shed light on why Nos. 1-7 were released as a box set before completion of the cycle?  And what about his completion of the cycle of Nos. 8 and 10?  Also, by chance, does he plan to commit DLvdE or other Mahler works to disk?

Wade

Offline Freddy van Maurik

Wade,

M9 was issued by Arte, not EuroArts. Could that be the reason for EuroArts to release this set?
Das Lied von der Erde was broadcast by, again, Arte. I think they may issue this on blu-ray as well.

I really do hope Abbado will do M8 in Lucerne, but I wouldn't get my hopes up where any of the perfoming versions of M10 in concerned. The Adagio of M10 is likely, though.

Freddy

Offline Zoltan

Wade,

M9 was issued by Arte, not EuroArts. Could that be the reason for EuroArts to release this set?
Das Lied von der Erde was broadcast by, again, Arte. I think they may issue this on blu-ray as well.

Just because it was broadcasted on TV on arte doesn't mean that it won't get a DVD release. Arte broadcasted every Mahler Abbado/Lucerne concert to date, and done so in cooperation with EuroArts.

I really do hope Abbado will do M8 in Lucerne, but I wouldn't get my hopes up where any of the perfoming versions of M10 in concerned. The Adagio of M10 is likely, though.

Freddy

I somehow remember reading *somewhere* that he will do M8 next year in Lucerne. A search of this board or the Listserv Mahler-list didn't get any result ... Hm ...

He did the M10 Adagio for this year's Mahler anniversary with the Berliner Philharmoniker (with an almost as mediocre DLvdE).

Offline Fafner

Paul Smaczny, producer of the Abbado Lucerne concerts, left Euroarts at the beginning of 2010 to found its own label Accentus. He has taken the rights for the subsequent Lucerne productions with himself, that means Euroarts wasn't and won't be able to formally complete the planned full cycle and had to stop with the 2009 recordings (Mahler 1st and 4th). That's why they released Symphonies 1-7 as a box, they won't release the remaining ones. They may release the Berlin Lied von der Erde, as Accentus hinted me they own the rights there. The Ninth was released under the Accentus label, and the same will most probably happen for the upcoming Abbado Lucerne 2011 concerts (where the Adagio from the 10th will be performed again).
The 8th is planned for 2012, it's stated in the main Lucerne 2011 program. This wasn't supposed to happen but someone must have changed his mind in this respect.
Forget about a performing version of the 10th from him, he doesn't believe in these...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 04:04:13 PM by Fafner »

Offline Freddy van Maurik

Accentus. That's it. Not Arte, Zoltan is right - there's no reason why that would prevent a release by EuroArts. But it's Accentus that holds the rights now, as Fafner states.

Freddy

Offline barry guerrero

I would much rather have the Salonen/Dresden Staatskapelle M3 from the recent Leipzig Mahlerfest than ANY of these items from Abbado. In fact, I wish they would release that entire festival in a dvd box set, but that would require waaaay too much cooperation on everyone's part.

Offline sbugala

I would much rather have the Salonen/Dresden Staatskapelle M3 from the recent Leipzig Mahlerfest than ANY of these items from Abbado. In fact, I wish they would release that entire festival in a dvd box set, but that would require waaaay too much cooperation on everyone's part.

Agreed!

Offline waderice

Barry,

Do you know for sure if there were video technicians at the Leipzig Festival documenting the concerts and if so, who the company was?

Wade

Offline Zoltan

Barry,

Do you know for sure if there were video technicians at the Leipzig Festival documenting the concerts and if so, who the company was?

Wade

I just checked the credits in the streams I downloaded when they were available. Surprise! They were made by Accentus music in cooperation with MDR (Mitteldeutscher Rundfunk) and arte!

Offline barry guerrero

Accentus plans to release just M2 and M8 on to DVD (Chailly/Leipzig Gewandhaus). They were both pretty good, although the tenor wasn't all that great in the 8th.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 07:03:20 AM by barry guerrero »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk