Author Topic: Im going to see this M5 tonight  (Read 4271 times)

Offline gabyb

Im going to see this M5 tonight
« on: January 19, 2014, 12:31:13 PM »
Vanska doing M5 w the IPOHere in Tel Aviv tonight, very excited to go..here he is at the Proms,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lGBuamtwUk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Will report back.  Who else is seeing Mahler in near future or past?

Offline gabyb

Re: Im going to see this M5 tonight
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 12:54:41 PM »
And Nagano is doing M7 in June!

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 10:28:03 PM »
Nagano does a great M7. I've never heard Vaenska in Mahler.

Offline gabyb

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 12:40:17 PM »
Well, the first two movts were excellent, the rest felt under rehearsed and far from sure footed in the trickier parts, unfortunately.  He definitely speaks mahlerian, just seems he didnt have enough time to get the ipo to do what he wants.  I say this judging from the scherzo I posted from 2006, which is much clearer in every important point than what I saw last night.  Ive also seen Mehta do m5 w them and get the important bits right.  Oh well.  Looking forward to his Beethoven set, which DH raved about and I have on order.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 06:34:44 PM »
I haven't been to many M5 concerts, as it might be my least favorite of the Mahler symphonies (and again, that's not saying much because my fanatical devotion to Mahler's music). But my favorite of those few performances was with Edo De Waart/S.F. Symphony. Some of De Waart's Mahler in San Francisco was really great - far better than from what I've heard from MTT. The 5th, 7th and 8th were particularly memorable.

Purely out of curiosity, I'm wondering if you're familiar with the M6 recording with A. Dorati/I.P.O. that's out on Helicon? I've always liked Dorati.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 07:33:31 PM by barry guerrero »

Offline gabyb

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 06:39:42 AM »
Nope, when did it come out?  Also curious about Mehtas ipo m6.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 04:47:40 PM »
I would say that the Dorati has been out for about a year; maybe 18 months or so. The Mehta/IPO M6 is really quite good. The sound is excellent - just as good as it is on the Mehta/IPO M2 (which is also quite good). I've been thinking about checking out Mehta's IPO M7.

I kind of suspect that M7 would be a work where Mehta could be a bit maddening: some great moments here and there, but other moments where he just gets it wrong and drives you nuts. I'm still waiting and hoping that Mehta will some day give a great, over-the-top Mahler 8 performance. I think he was born to do M8, but he seems to keep avoiding it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk