General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

Inbal/5th/FRSO

(1/6) > >>

Wunderhorn:
I've only heard Bernstein/Vienna, Inbal/FRSO, Maazel/Vienna of Mahler's 5th and I would say it is a close call between Bernstein and Inbal. Inbal has better sound which comes out richer in the 'stringy' climax in the finale. I'm not especially excited over idiosyncratic recordings. Does anyone have a recommendation?

david johnson:
i listened to about 20 intros to that work last week to compare some trumpet styles.

the ones that sounded as though they would continue to be good beyond that point were -

maazel/vpo
mehta/nypo
levi/atlanta

the ones i have are; solti/cso & inbal/frankfort...with a scherchen/ortf just to hear the french guys do it.

dj

John Kim:
My favorite M5ths are,

Tennstedt/NYPO/NYPO
Tennstetd/LPO/EMI live
Shipway/RPO/RPO
Inbal/FRSO/Denon
Jansons/PSO (pirate)
Solti/CSO/Decca

and

Ozawa/BSO/Philips!! ;D

sperlsco:
Coincidentally, I put the Inbal M4 and M5 in my car yesterday, along with the Rattle M3.  It has been a long time since I listened to any of these recordings, and I just finished listening to the "surprisingly" excellent Inbal M4.  I really couldn't remember much about either of the Inbal performances, and Vatz' revisiting of the Bertini box had me wondering how competitive the Inbal box would be.  I'll post my impressions of his M5 in a couple of days. 

As for the Maazel, I have a general rule for Mahler:  avoid Maazel.  His Mahler is generally stiff, mannered, and slow.  His VPO M4 has Kathleen Battle, which is the only thing that makes it a must-own.  His VPO M2 is a good effort.  As for this thread and his M5, it is stiff, mannered, and devoid of any tension -- avoid at all costs (do not be sucked in by the bargain price). 

The Bernstein/VPO is easily a top choice.  I also consider some of the other ones previously mentioned to be my first tier favorites:  Tennstedt/LPO (live, not studio), Solti/CSO (70's analog/studio, not 80's/90's live digital), and Mehta/NYPO.  The Solti is a rather aggressive reading, but it was the first M5 that I really liked (the first one I ever bought was actually the dreaded Maazel). 

Others that I put in my first tier of favorites are Chailly, Karajan (see recent thread), and Boulez -- all off the top of my head.   

John Kim:
Scott,

I'd agree on the Inbal M4th. It's amazingly good. Like yourself, I don't remember listening to this recording so often in the past but recently I revisited it and was really surprised that it's so good. I have a fond memory of the Solti/CSO M5th (the 70's studio one); it was my first M5th and I also heard him doing the work live in Austin, Texas in mid 80's. I was blown away by the concert.

Try Tennstedt/NYPO/NYPO Box set M5th. It's even better than his live one with LPO. Better played and better recorded.

John,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version