Author Topic: Bychkov stepping in for VPO M3 in May (Wiener Festwochen)  (Read 3948 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Bychkov stepping in for VPO M3 in May (Wiener Festwochen)
« on: April 29, 2008, 05:50:43 AM »
Semyon Bychkov will be replacing an ailing Mariss Jansons, in a performance of Mahler's 3rd Symphony with the Vienna Phil., happening May 5th (I think it is). FYI.

Bychkov has already a slow but detailed recording of M3 with the WDR S.O. Koln (Cologne) for the Avie label. Lipovsek sounds terrific on that recording.

Polarius T

Re: Bychkov stepping in for VPO M3 in May (Wiener Festwochen)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 10:20:23 PM »
That could be interesting. I have memories of being positively impressed by something done by Bychkov which I no longer can remember what it was, however. Maybe his Mozart? Hmmmph, doesn't sound like that could've been it.

Lipovsek is very, very good and not least so in Mahler, so that recording could also be intriguing.

PT
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 10:25:53 PM by Polarius T »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 06:14:16 AM »
That Avie M3 is worth investigating. It's a tad slow from start to finish, which isn't too my liking for an early Mahler symphony. However, Lipovsek is great; the playing is great (same as Bertini's orchestra); the sound is great, and amount of exposed, clearly delineated detail is amazing. I think that the Bertini M3 has a bit more "oomp" here and there, but the Bychkov one has better sound quality.

Barry

Polarius T

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 09:35:48 PM »
I think I'll have to check that out, too. I'm a sucker for detail (don't have those scores on hand to compensate...) and in GM it's once again those odd-numbered works that interest me the most (in the ascending order as a matter of fact), and the 3rd's included.

PT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk