Author Topic: M1 with Muti/Philadelphia Orchestra  (Read 4149 times)

Offline Ben

M1 with Muti/Philadelphia Orchestra
« on: May 21, 2008, 02:55:32 AM »
I hadn't listened to this recording in a little while, so I listened to it tonight.  I must say I enjoyed it very much.  It doesn't seem to get much press at all, perhaps it did when it was released in the 80s, but I think it can rank up there with some of the best.  Philadelphia plays spectacularly for Muti and I didn't really have any qualms with Muti's reading of it either.  The first movement is maybe a little brisk, but nothing extreme.  It's a very slow introduction to the first movement, so I assume he wanted a big contrast there.  The second movement goes well, a nice rustic feeling and good tempo.  The third movement has good character, perhaps could have used a little more parody in the central sections, but nothing to complain about too much.  The fourth movement is great all around with a superb ending.  The horns are captured in all their glory here (and everywhere else in the recording).

Anyone else have thoughts on this recording?  I read Tony Duggan's review on this recording and didn't really agree with his final thought: He was complimentary of the recording but felt Muti didn't really connect with Mahler and skates the surface of the piece demoralizing it to a mere run-through and orchestral showpiece.  I thought Muti had many nice, individual touches to the Symphony that work well, especially on repeated listenings. 

Perhaps it's just me, but I think this recording deserves to have more press and be better known.

Ben

Offline John Kim

Re: M1 with Muti/Philadelphia Orchestra
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 04:53:07 AM »
Ben,

Ditto here. This has long been one of my favorites. I can't recall top of my head how the entire recording exactly went but I know it is a very good one. Muti also did a fantastic M4th during the 1995 Mahlerfest with the glowing VPO. I think he is a fine Mahler conductor and we'll get to know this when he conducts more Mahler, hopefully with CSO.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 07:17:13 AM »
Dave Hurwitz and I were friends on the left coast when the Muti/Philly M1 came out (he was doing graduate work out here). We both thought it was very good. I saw Muti/Philly perform it live at Davies Hall, which sounded very much like the recording. Indeed, it still holds up very well.

Barry
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 06:04:40 PM by barry guerrero »

Offline Dave H

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 03:02:43 PM »
As Barry says, it's an excellent performance all around and I still enjoy it very much. Certainly it has one of the finest finales around. The playing is exceptional, the engineering very good, and Muti's interpretation has plenty of fire and spirit, as well as atmosphere in the funeral march. It is never less than idiomatic and characterful. It is all the more interesting coming as it does from these artists. However, the fact that they were not known for their Mahler doesn't mean that aren't good at it. Another "sleeper" performance of exceptional calibre is Previn's Pittsburgh Mahler 4, also on EMI, with Ely Ameling as the superb soloist in the finale. That's a great disc that no one ever sees fit to mention.

Dave H

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 04:51:08 PM »
Dave,

I have always mentioned the Previn/Ameling/PSO/EMI as one of my TOP choices for M4. I can live with it just for the Pittsburg strings in Adagio - what a playing!

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 06:11:09 PM »
Maybe it's Heinz Hall, but I feel that Pittsburgh is THE most underrated orchestra on the planet for Austro/German music (but Mahler certainly isn't exclusively Austro/German by any means). What do I mean by that? They get the sort of darker, mocha-like textures of the Vienna or Berlin Phil., but with the greater clarity of American and French  orchestras (in general - we're speaking generalities here). Yet, they don't sound as though the trumpets and trombones are right in your face, the way that Chicago so often times does. I like Pittsburgh very much. I think that Heniz Hall must take part of the credit. I think that Chicago's aggressive and somewhat brittle sound works better in Bartok and Shostakovich than it it does in Mahler or Bruckner (sometimes their Bruckner is outstanding). I may be stretching the point, but here's the bottom line: I like Pittsburgh.

Barry
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 06:14:53 PM by barry guerrero »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 08:06:44 PM »
The M5th that Jansons did with this orchestra in mid 90's was one of the all time greatest Mahler concerts ever. I guess they also got influence from William Steinberg in the Austro/German music.

John,

Offline Dave H

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 12:19:51 PM »
Well, John, it's nice to know that you personally witnessed all the Mahler concerts that have ever happened in order to be able to make that particular claim!  ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist (and I wanted to try out some of those smiley icons in the reply screen).  :)

Dave H

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk