Author Topic: Bernstein/Berlin M9 Remastered and Available on the Digital Market  (Read 3812 times)

Offline Michael

• Adagio Appassionato, Addolorato A Niente
    • My Railroad Audio Recordings
Hi all,

My first (well, second) post here in a while.  I'm not sure if this would interest anyone, but it appears as though DG has remastered Bernstein's 1979 M9 with the Berlin Philharmonic and released it to the digital market.  (I looked for a CD version of this remaster to link to here instead, but couldn't find anything.)  It's available on HDtracks, and I can definitely say the sound is better: http://www.hdtracks.com/berliner-philharmoniker-mahler-symphony-no-9.

When I first saw this, I expected it would just be a lossless version of the 2010 "Originals" release, but this is definitely different and the sound is better.  In particular, the soundstage seems to have been narrowed, eliminating the unnatural empty space in the middle/right in front of the listener, if you will.  The harp--as heard in the opening of the movement--now has a defined place in the upper-left of the soundstage, instead of somewhere at the left edge.  The echo heard in the middle of the soundstage (timpani in the first movement, anyone?), appears to have been addressed to a substantial degree--making the whole thing sound a lot more natural.  (The width of the soundstage reminds me a lot of Barbirolli's Berlin recording now, though of course the sound in the Barbirolli is still better.)  Though there is still some of that high-end brightness/shimmer from earlier incarnations, I think the sound on this latest release is warmer and fuller overall.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 12:00:22 AM by Michael »
Michael

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Bernstein/Berlin M9 Remastered and Available on the Digital Market
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 06:19:35 PM »
I just can't enjoy that Berlin one because of the unison trombones missing at the climax of the last movement. If you listen closely on headphones, something happened there. Also, the start of the Rondo-Burlesque misfires a bit. Typical of so many live Bernstein performances, there are some really great moments, and a few less than great moments.

For a Bernstein M9, I really like the Israel Phil. one from 1985 that's on the Helicon label. To me, it combines the best aspects of both the Berlin and Amsterdam M9 recordings. In fact, it reminds me more of the Boston Symphony 'pirate' that's been floating around out there (isn't it high time that the Bernstein estate and the BSO come to some agreement on officially releasing that one?). The playing is really very good and the sound quality is excellent. The only drawback is the somewhat 'dry' acoustics of Mann Auditorium. FYI.

Barry
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 09:41:53 PM by barry guerrero »

Offline David Boxwell

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 09:58:02 PM »
The blackest sheep of all "Black Sheep" Mahler recordings!  (I cherish it).

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 08:21:46 AM »
I don't think it's a 'black sheep'. I'm just saying that I can't enjoy it when THE major theme (or motif) of the finale is completely missing at the climax.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk