Author Topic: First M3 in concert  (Read 6553 times)

Offline Stürmisch Bewegt

First M3 in concert
« on: January 23, 2011, 11:11:01 AM »
Take a good orchestra (Orchestre de la Suisse Romande),  honest conductor (Marek Janowski),  good chor,  wonderful soloist (Waltraud Maeir) , good acoustic, and it goes alone in M3 ,it's paradise on the earth! That happend  in Geneve last week for my first M3 in concert.And not before, the real tones!!! It really let me without strength and i was almost unable to applaud at the end! M3 ist not so often performed.What's ouy experience whith it?

Offline Roffe

Re: First M3 in concert
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 04:54:44 PM »
Congratulations,

I experienced my first live M3 some years back, and yes, a good performance leaves you breathless.

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 05:59:39 PM »
Take a good orchestra (Orchestre de la Suisse Romande),  honest conductor (Marek Janowski),  good chor,  wonderful soloist (Waltraud Maeir) , good acoustic, and it goes alone in M3 ,it's paradise on the earth!

I was able to download and listen to a podcast of this concert—from 12 January 2011, I believe—and it was indeed a spectacular performance. I wish I could have been in the Victoria Hall with you.

My first live Mahler 3 was with Jahja Ling and the Florida Orchestra around 1990. Ling is a Mahler conductor in the Bernstein mold, and the performance was overwhelming.

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline Stürmisch Bewegt

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 06:22:27 PM »
And now the question is: how long time to wait for another M3 in concert? To get over we can listen The Berliner at the Digital Concert Hall on 05 february. that would'nt be bad i think.I got the EMI set for Christmas and i find Rattle version very interesting.
Mathilde.

Offline waderice

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 09:06:41 PM »
Glad to hear that M3 has struck a very positive chord with you.  One of my fellow recording collectors, who has collected classical recordings for probably 50+ years and who has a vaster collection than I do, has mentioned various times that M3 has been a tough nut for him to crack over the years.  I heard the work live for the first time about 30-35 years ago when Dorati and the Washington DC National Symphony did their first performance of it.  Thankfully, I already knew the work well, and could appreciate it all the more in a live setting.

If you want to hear one of the earliest available recordings that helped bring this work before an unknowing public as to its scope and grandeur, look for the F. Charles Adler 1952 recording with the Vienna Symphony.  Released earlier on CD and since out of print, it is to be shortly released again in February of 2011, along with his recording of the Adagio from the 10th Symphony.

Wade
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 04:24:52 AM by waderice »

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 03:33:07 PM »

If you want to hear one of the earliest available recordings that helped bring this work before an unknowing public as to its scope and grandeur, look for the F. Charles Adler 1952 recording with the Vienna Symphony.  Released earlier on CD and since out of print, it is to be shortly released again in February of 2011, along with his recording of the Adagio from the 10th Symphony.

I got access to this release a bit early and I'm very pleased with it. Aaron Z. Snyder did a beautiful transfer, and Adler's performance of the Third is really quite special.

It's worth noting that the performance of movements i and iii of the Tenth included with this set is not the SPA studio recording available at one time on Conifer, but an earlier live recording—previously unreleased—which Mr. Snyder describes as "superior, both from the intensity of the interpretation of movement i, and also from the standpoint of the recorded sound. The sound of the Conifer reissue of the SPA M10 is decidedly inferior. This live Mahler Tenth was the world première of the Jokl edition of these two movements. How it differs, if at all, from the Krenek version is unknown to me."

James
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 06:27:53 AM by James Meckley »

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 07:35:27 PM »

If you want to hear one of the earliest available recordings that helped bring this work before an unknowing public as to its scope and grandeur, look for the F. Charles Adler 1952 recording with the Vienna Symphony.  Released earlier on CD and since out of print, it is to be shortly released again in February of 2011, along with his recording of the Adagio from the 10th Symphony.

I got hold of this release a bit early and am very pleased with it. Aaron Z. Snyder did a beautiful remastering job and the performance of the Third is really quite special.

James

It's good to know that Aaron Z. Synder did the mastering! I'll have to pick this up for sure.

--Todd

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 06:25:10 AM »
It's also worth pointing out, regarding the Adler Mahler 3 mentioned above, that in the liner notes included with the original SPA LP set, Mahler's widow Alma states, "Score readers will note that in several places there are small deviations between the published score and the music heard. These differences represent corrections which Mahler himself made after the publication of the score." These corrections were communicated to Mr. Adler and are apparently unique to this recording. Ironic that the very first recording of the Third might be the only one to contain Mahler's final thoughts on the work!

James

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 08:21:58 AM »
The Suisse Romande orch. made an excellent recording of M3 with Armin Jordan. Thus, I'm not the slightest bit surprised that a live performance with Janowski would be outstanding. Good timing on your part.

Barry

Offline Jules

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 01:31:57 PM »
In more than 30 years of concert-goer, I can recall but 2 performances of M3: my very first one, with the Spanish radio & television orchestra conducted by a not well known conductor, Gómez-Martínez; and last season, I attended Jansons’ performance with the RCO, and that was quite an experience!

It's also worth pointing out, regarding the Adler Mahler 3 mentioned above, that in the liner notes included with the original SPA LP set, Mahler's widow Alma states, "Score readers will note that in several places there are small deviations between the published score and the music heard. These differences represent corrections which Mahler himself made after the publication of the score." These corrections were communicated to Mr. Adler and are apparently unique to this recording.

Is Alma Mahler somebody to be taken on trust when she states something regarding Mahler?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 01:39:38 PM by Jules »

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 03:37:31 PM »
Is Alma Mahler somebody to be taken on trust when she states something regarding Mahler?

No. She's been caught in many distortions and "adjustments" of the historical record. These distortions were usually for the purpose of casting Alma herself in a more favorable light, often at the expense of her husband. In this case, however, I'm inclined to take her at her word. After all, any differences in orchestration are objectively verifiable, and her explanation of them seems reasonable.

James
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 10:48:23 PM by James Meckley »

Offline euphoria

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 10:55:42 PM »
This thursday M3 is being performed not 10 miles from my home by Aarhus Symphony Orchestra, with a friend of mine Jesper Busk Sorensen flying in to play the solo trombone part with his old orchestra (he is now the 2nd trombone in the Berlin PO).

I however has the misfortune of conducting another ensemble the same evening  :'(

Am just now listening to my favorite M3 - Bernstein 1987 as a consolation.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk