Author Topic: on the piano with Mahler  (Read 11039 times)

Offline Stürmisch Bewegt

on the piano with Mahler
« on: April 26, 2011, 12:46:55 PM »
As I've started to realize a piano transcription of M4' finale, that I wish to be the closest possible to Mahler's version, I often listen to his "recording" on the Welte Mignon rolls.
For those who want to get familiarized with the Welte Mignon system, there are very detailed explanations with photographs on the Tacet website:

http://www.tacet.de/main/seite1.php?language=en&filename=welte.php&layout=katalog

So the more I listen to, the more I become aware of the importance of this testimony to get an idea about how Mahler could be as a musician, a conductor and as a person. I like the charm , the spontaneity, the  natural and the vivacity of his playing. The way he phrases the beginning is delightful. I'll enjoy playing Mahler with Mahler when I finish the job.

I've ordered the Preiser Records CD "Gustav Mahler und sein Klavier".The samples I heard sounded very clear, especially the left hand. (useful for me). I didn't understand if the reproduction was done on Mahler's own Blüthner piano, or on a Blüthner as  Mahler's one. The CD notes will probably clear this point.
The Kaplan Collection record probably sounds well too. Who knows it?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 12:50:21 PM by Stürmisch Bewegt »

Offline James Meckley

Re: on the piano with Mahler
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 01:32:40 PM »
The Kaplan Collection record probably sounds well too. Who knows it?

For the Kaplan collection recordings, a Welte-Mignon vorsetzer device was set up in front of a modern Steinway D (9-foot) piano in a recording studio. The blower pump that runs the vorsetzer was detached and placed in a separate room to minimize mechanical noise on the recordings. The recordings themselves are very clean and detailed. The perspective seems quite close-in, resulting in an unusually wide soundstage for a piano recording—one might even say unnaturally wide.

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline Roffe

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 07:20:47 PM »
As I've started to realize a piano transcription of M4' finale, that I wish to be the closest possible to Mahler's version, I often listen to his "recording" on the Welte Mignon rolls.
There might be a small problem regarding the closest possible M4 finale on the Welte Mignon rolls, and that is: when Mahler plays the M4 finale on the piano, he executes it in 7:21 (extremely fast), but when he is conducting the Concertgebouw Orchestra in Amsterdam, the 4 movement is executed in 9:30 (as noted by Willem Mengelberg).

Roffe

Offline Stürmisch Bewegt

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 10:31:26 AM »
When I say "the closest" it concerns the notes, not the tempo. To do the reduction I use the orchestra score ,then I compare what I play with what Mahler plays  .
the fastest recording versions I know are in 8 minutes. (Gielen , Kubelik). but I'm not surprised that Mahler could have conducted one day fast and another day slower. That sayed ,are Mengelberg's notes truthworthy?

Offline Roffe

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 11:47:43 AM »
That sayed ,are Mengelberg's notes truthworthy?
I don't know. Mengelberg took notes in his score of every Mahler symphony Mahler conducted in Holland. At least the 9:30 is probable, almost every recording seems to lie between 8:30 to 10 minutes. The 7:21 for the piano version is from a CD "Mahler plays Mahler", track information at: http://www.answers.com/topic/mahler-plays-mahler-the-welte-mignon-piano-rolls

Roffe

Offline Stürmisch Bewegt

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 03:12:59 PM »
On the "Master of the roll "CD the time record is braked : 6:25 ! The "G M und sein klavier " version does 8:03 . Admittedly we know that it is delicate to adjust the speed of the rolls , it makes a big difference. I'm impatient to get my CD to compare.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 11:22:56 PM »
Bruno Walter was frequently less than 9 minutes as well. There's no indication in the score to take the last stanzas at a super slow pace. Afterall, the text expresses a boy's idea of heaven  and not a soprano's.

Offline Stürmisch Bewegt

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 06:26:35 AM »
And rare are the sopranos respecting Mahler's indication "kurz" (short) on the Ursula fermata. F von Stade does it. Great musician.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 06:32:12 AM by Stürmisch Bewegt »

Offline Stürmisch Bewegt

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 12:43:28 PM »
I have recorded my piano transcription of the final of M4. It is a "live recording" I realised at home .

http://3odnrl.alterupload.com/
here the file has been converted into a mp4 file.

the original file is very heavy but the sound quality is better. it takes about 30mn to download. here is the link :
http://pga9l5.alterupload.com/

If you are interested !

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 07:23:20 PM »
Move over Mahler - great job! The MP4 file sounds fine. I like how you brought out the low register each time the music suddenly turns slow, and the text is discussing one of the saints ("Saint Someone-or-another bakes the bread", etc.).

I would urge others to give this listen - if for no other reason, as a model for how this movement should go. A labor of love.

Offline Constantin

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 12:26:04 AM »
I agree that this mp4 sounds just fine.
I'm familiar with all the Welte-Mignon type "recordings" by Mahler himself, but I find this sounds much lighter (not in the feeling and love for the piece, but in the touch).  Perhaps this is a difference inherent in the sound of piano roll performance, but the lightness of touch in this performance I find more in keeping with a look up into the fluffy lightness of clouds; into the heavens.  Somehow, this piano version, for me at least, clearly brings to mind the full range of the orchestral intents--I keep expecting to hear the soprano describe for us the beauties of heaven.  I certainly think Mahler would be pleased to hear this.
Und ruh' in einem stillen Gebiet

Offline Roffe

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 07:22:25 AM »
Wow, I'm impressed. Very good job, and the mp4-file sounds fine to me. Congratulations.

Roffe

Offline Stürmisch Bewegt

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 04:28:30 PM »
Thanks for the comments , Barry, Constantin, Roffe. I am glad you appreciate the performance. It is rewarding and encouraging for me .

Offline Constantin

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 09:52:46 PM »
For those who have not yet listened to this M4 finale piano performance, please "give it a listen."
It's hard to believe piano alone could capture the essence of such a moving orchestral piece, but as a pen and ink drawing can sometimes equal in expressiveness, a colorful oil painting, this M4 piano recording stands on its own.

Perhaps with some encouragement, SB might consider trying his luck at a piano version of the third movement of M3 (before the Posthorn) or perhaps one of the choral or solo parts from near the end of M8, Part II.  These may have possibilities on the piano.
Und ruh' in einem stillen Gebiet

Offline hrandall

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 04:04:23 PM »
This is fantastic, well done!

Say, want to come vacation in northern New Hampshire sometime this year? I'm trying to put together a performance of the Woss 4-hand piano reduction of Mahler's 8th. (See here for the score: http://imslp.org/wiki/Special:ImagefromIndex/85162). I've got one willing pianist whose capable of playing it but having trouble finding a second.

Thank you for sharing this beautiful recording.

Best,
Herb Randall

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk