Author Topic: Järvi/M8 on Arte live web  (Read 4051 times)

Offline Sturmisch Bewegt

Järvi/M8 on Arte live web
« on: May 28, 2013, 07:09:44 PM »
It's a replay of a recent performance by the Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra conducted by Paavo Järvi.

Worth hearing IMHO.

http://liveweb.arte.tv/fr/video/Gustav_Mahler_Symphonie_8/
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 07:12:41 PM by Sturmisch Bewegt »

Offline Russ Smiley

Re: Järvi/M8 on Arte live web
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 04:19:24 AM »
This is really fine.  Tenor is excellent. Thank you for calling it to our attention.
Russ Smiley

Offline Roffe

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 05:43:38 AM »
What a way to start a new day; listening to a very fine performance of M8. Thank you, Mathilde.

Roffe
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 05:49:46 AM by Roffe »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 05:12:27 AM »
Funny how Paavo seems to be much better at Mahler than his dad is.  Anyway, I like it that he had the chorus hang on to the very last syllable of the very, VERY last word in the entire symphony (hinan), for at least an additional bar or two. I think that makes a big difference. For my own taste, the very end of the symphony could have been just a tad slower (ala Bertini and Stenz). Still, this was quite good.

Virgin Classics issued a very good "Resurrection" Symphony with P. Jarvi/Frankfurt RSO. I wish they'd issue more!

Barry

Offline singingfriar

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 06:20:23 PM »
Thanks for the link. The performance is quite good and enjoyable. I have to disagree with the prior comment about the tenor, however.

Offline Constantin

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 08:08:59 PM »
I agree with Russ in liking the tenor's performance.

Perhaps it's a question of personal taste regarding style and the sound of a particular voice, but for me this tenor's  passion and intensity trump any minor deficiencies.

Actually, I didn't even notice deficiencies, and would prefer this tenor (Nikolai Schukoff) over many others I've heard.

Ditto to Barry's comment that it's good to hear the final "hinan" not minimized.  It's a high point that should not be swallowed or diminished.

Please note also the respect and reverence for the music demonstrated by conductor, musicians, and even the boys of the Limburger DomsingKnaben.  Anyone who's worked with youths will have an admiration for such sustained respectful conduct after the end of the performance.

They gave it the respect and majesty that M8 and its audiences deserve.

I have a renewed appreciation for Paavo Järvi, and found this performance quite touching.

If you like M8, or if you haven't yet "met" M8, this would be a very good one to see.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 07:18:30 PM by Constantin »
Und ruh' in einem stillen Gebiet

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk