Author Topic: OT: Does anyone here like the Nézet-Séguin/Orch. Métropolitain Bruckner cycle?  (Read 2990 times)

Offline erikwilson7

I stumbled across these recordings recently when I was on a Bruckner kick. They're pretty different, but highly personal readings with a very warm and bass-y mix from ATMA Classique. A lot of the big moments sound organ-like, which is of course appropriate for Bruckner. For a quick example, check out the last chord of many of the symphonies on YouTube or Spotify, especially the 8th... whew. They may not have the soaring majesty of Karajan (DG '70s) or Wand (RCA), or the determined focus of Skrowaczewski (Oehms), but Nézet-Séguin does a good job of capturing the "meditative" aspect of Bruckner's music without being too Celibidache-slow. The set might be a bit more soft-edged than we're used to, but it's probably one of my new favorites along with Skrowaczewski and the ongoing Nelsons (DG) one. I think those three strike a good balance with each other for modern sets.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 06:38:28 AM by erikwilson7 »

Offline barryguerrero

I don't know these at all. However, I think his Rotterdam B8 is very good. In fact, I like that entire N.-S./Rotterdam box (DG).

Offline erikwilson7

There’s a fine M10 in that Rotterdam box. It’s different from his Orchestre Métropolitain recording; a bit softer and more intimate. Both of the scherzos are really good.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 04:06:11 AM by erikwilson7 »

Offline John Kim

I don't know about the Metropolitan Bruckner cycle, but I really like YNS's Rotterdam PO Bruckner 8th. It is expansive but never loses suspense or momentum and the Adagio has a great sense of architecture as well as meditative feel. I also like the M10th (complete) included in the Rotterdam PO set very much. But for me, YNS's greatest version of M10th is with BRSO which sadly has not been released commercially.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk