Author Topic: Inbal/Tokyo Met. S.O. Mahler 8 (Exton) is coming!  (Read 5256 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
Re: Inbal/Tokyo Met. S.O. Mahler 8 (Exton) is coming!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 03:28:11 PM »
Hopefully it will be much better than the last M8 Exton recorded with this orchestra (w/ Bertini) -- one of the most disappoiting M8's in my collection.  I can't think of anything I liked about it - conducting (rushed tempos), playing (nothing special), solo singing (ugh!).  Of course, the sound was superb, so you could hear how poor it all was!  ;)
Scott

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 04:22:24 PM »
This is interesting.

I once heard Inbal conducting the same orchestra in the same piece and it was an outstanding Mahler 8th in all aspects. Based on that experience, I would put my fingers crossed on this new release.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 06:12:45 PM »
Well guys, here's a Youtube page that has a whole bunch of excerpts from Inbal's Japanese Mahler 8. Maybe this will help you decide.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=mahler+8+inbal&aq=f

It seems pretty good to me. But I have my usual criticism with M8 performances, which is that the final chord of the symphony just seems too short to me. I would hold the chord a bit longer, and add a second bass drum roll to produce a satisfactory crescendo (so that the chord isn't just sitting there, doing nothing).

Barry
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 06:23:51 PM by barry guerrero »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 06:56:13 PM »
Barry,

I more or less agree on your point.

Inbal is an excellent and a very reliable Mahler conductor; almost everything he has done with Mahler was pretty good to great. I also recall a M3rd and a M9th that he did with NHK Orchestra and both performances sounded just perfect in terms of tempos, balances, dynamics, and interpretations. His Mahler has rarely disappointed me.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 10:39:30 PM »
"I more or less agree on your point"

What's the "less" part?   :(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk