Author Topic: My Amazon review of Zinman Mahler 8 (f.y.i.)  (Read 10757 times)

Offline Nathaniel

Re: My Amazon review of Zinman Mahler 8 (f.y.i.)
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 05:29:29 PM »

Thanks - enjoyed reading your post. I'm not impressed by Gergiev's Mahler (including the 8th) but I haven't heard Inbal's M8. I'll certainly check it out.

I listened to the Zinman M8 over the course of the last couple of weekends.  I'd really like to listen to it in one sitting, but may not have that chance for a while.  If I had to compare it to another performance, I might say the Neumann/Czech PO one.  The performance tends to be very balanced from both a horizontal and vertical conducting standpoint.  The organ and massed choirs are very forward in the presentation of Part 1 -- which has its dividends.  However, the orchestra itself does not stand out (i.e. from a balance standpoint).  There are instances where I expect a solo instrument to come to the fore -- but instead it remains a part of the ensemble.  The offstage brass at the end of Part I are actually much more in your face than the onstage brass that had come before.  Although Zinman picks up the pace at the end of Part 1, it sounds much more natural than MTT (which sounded simply absurd). 

I really didn't have any problems with the solo singers.  ADG is not one of my favorite tenors, but he bothered me less here than on the MTT for some reason.  Banse is a bit heavy for my taste, but I think she sings very well and has excellent range.  The massed choirs are really good, and very forward in the mix.  In Part 2, I'd like Mahler's specialty instruments to stand out a good bit more.  I suppose that I've come to prefer the balancing of the recent Inbal/Tokyo MSO recording, in that the soloists are balanced way back and the orchestra very forward in the mix.  I'm not quite as big a fan of the ending of Part 2 as BG.  The organ and the pacing are excellent, but the tam-tams (which sound VERY large-sized and deep toned) are not struck nearly hard enough to make an impact.  Instead there are cymbal crashes alone. 

Overall, I enjoyed this performance but greatly prefer the recent ones from Inbal and Gergiev. 

Offline John Kim

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2011, 06:17:20 AM »
Sorry to bring this old topic back, but recently I've been enjoying Zinman's M8th a lot and just want to say this is my top, the best all around M8th for now. Yes, the singers are not in their top form, but it is Zinman's rational, very coherent approach that takes my breadth away. I think along with his Sixth this is Zinman's best Mahler recording (I have not heard the 10th yet).

I've come to like it so much that I am considering to get Japanese SACD version which should have superior sound quality.

Does anyone have experience with Japanese RCA pressings?

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 09:22:18 PM »
.   .   it's the one that's MOST like being at a good live concert. A better tenor would have helped, so I'm hoping that the upcoming de Billy/RSO Wien one will give this one a good run for its money. De Billy has Johan Botha, who's really good (on Boulez M8). I agree about Zinman's non-sensationalist, rational conducting.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 04:46:46 PM »
.   .   it's the one that's MOST like being at a good live concert. A better tenor would have helped, so I'm hoping that the upcoming de Billy/RSO Wien one will give this one a good run for its money. De Billy has Johan Botha, who's really good (on Boulez M8). I agree about Zinman's non-sensationalist, rational conducting.
I think I am being obsessed with Zinman's M8th; for the last three days I've been listening to the recording every day.

The sound is simply wonderful with plenty of organ, good bass, and terrific percussion in the final 2-3 min.

Zinman's reading is so fluent, so rich, and so judiciously rational that it makes me to appreciate the work better than any other Mahler symphonies.

It's that good.

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2011, 05:19:12 PM »
I think I am being obsessed with Zinman's M8th; for the last three days I've been listening to the recording every day.

The sound is simply wonderful with plenty of organ, good bass, and terrific percussion in the final 2-3 min.

Zinman's reading is so fluent, so rich, and so judiciously rational that it makes me to appreciate the work better than any other Mahler symphonies.

It's that good.

John,

John, I totally agree with your assessment. Once I listen to this recording I have to hear it again!

--Todd

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk