Author Topic: Haitink - M9 - Chicago, June 2011  (Read 8289 times)

Offline chris

Haitink - M9 - Chicago, June 2011
« on: February 25, 2010, 02:36:07 PM »
I can only assume it will be recorded for CSO Resound.

June 2, 3, 4, and 5 - Mahler 9.

The CSO has had the privilege of playing under the incredible artistic leadership of Dutch master Bernard Haitink over the past several seasons. After three wildly successful tours of Europe and Asia, landmark CSO Resound recordings of Mahler, Bruckner and Shostakovich, and many memorable weeks of music making on the stage of Orchestra Hall, Haitink returns to bring our 2010/11 season to a close with the latest installment of his Mahler series— the remarkable Symphony No. 9.

Offline John Kim

Re: Haitink - M9 - Chicago, June 2011
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 04:42:13 PM »
I sure hope so.

If Haitink can pull the string like he did in his CSO recordings of Shosy 4th and Bruckner 7th, it will be a pretty darn good Mahler Ninth.

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 05:08:41 PM »
I hope so too...looking forward to a CSO M9 with Haitink!

--Todd

Offline Michael

• Adagio Appassionato, Addolorato A Niente
    • My Railroad Audio Recordings
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 11:09:01 PM »
I'm looking forward to being in the audience for that one!  That concert (on 6/3/2011) will coincide with my completion of high school, assuming that there are no snow days pushing that date up to June 6.  I am going to have to get my mother to take me to the June 3 performance...that will be a day I won't forget any time soon.  ;-)
Michael

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 11:47:18 PM »
I'm looking forward to being in the audience for that one!  That concert (on 6/3/2011) will coincide with my completion of high school, assuming that there are no snow days pushing that date up to June 6.  I am going to have to get my mother to take me to the June 3 performance...that will be a day I won't forget any time soon.  ;-)
Michael,

You are a high school student who listens to Mahler?? :o :o

Wow!

As for myself, I've been listening to Mahler since I was 14 (but didn't understand the Ninth until I turned 17 or 18)  ;D ;).

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 02:12:32 AM »
I'm looking forward to being in the audience for that one!  That concert (on 6/3/2011) will coincide with my completion of high school, assuming that there are no snow days pushing that date up to June 6.  I am going to have to get my mother to take me to the June 3 performance...that will be a day I won't forget any time soon.  ;-)

That is so awesome man...seeing Haitink to the Mahler 9 with CSO...how grand!

--Todd

P.S.  I heard my first Mahler from the Bernstein Harvard Lecture LP's at age 17 or so...took me years to really listen to this music though! 

Offline Michael

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 03:27:30 AM »
Yes John, I can't believe it myself!  LOL!
Everyone asks me, "Why do you like all that tragedy?"  I guess my answer is that M6 and M9 (so far anyway, I'm just starting to explore the fifth) help me to deal with and answer my own questions about my life as someone who is totally blind, and about the world in general.  Mahler's music is so complex that I am guessing many people are turned away from it--I know it was that way for me for a while.  I mean, come on, the idea of an 80-minute symphony?  No thanks.  (Well, at first, anyway.)  I am still coming to terms with M6 and M9, and that's just two of them!
It doesn't help that nobody at school--even in the orchestra--really cares about classical music, let alone the music of Gustav Mahler.  I start talking about Mahler symphonies and everyone is lost!

As for when I heard my first Mahler, it was back when I was nine years old.  I was going through CDs of my parents' and found a CD of what I now know is Symphony No. 1.  I didn't much care for anything else, but I sure did like the third movement.  There was something magical about it, and I suspect I will always be reminded of that first night I heard it whenever I hear that movement.
My next encounter with Mahler was in September 2007.  I had obtained a copy of the Barber's Adagio and Other Romantic Favorites for Strings CD (by Leonard Bernstein and the New York Philharmonic) from the conductor at the high school I attended at the time.  I got this CD to copy mainly for the Andante Cantabile by Tchaikovsky, but I found myself listening to the M5 Adagietto more and more as well.  Beautiful, I thought.  (I still think that way, lest any of you be concerned.  ;-) )  I don't know how I found out exactly what the name of that piece was; I may have asked my conductor, I do not remember.
I was exposed to Mahler 6 in November of 2008 while reading an autobiography called Mozart in the Jungle.  After researching the work a bit, I thought it was my fit: emotion to the extreme.  So I downloaded two recordings, one the Michael Tilson Thomas/San Francisco Symphony, and the other the one by Bernard Haitink and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.  And then some things happened in my life that made me relate all too easily to the story M6 told.  (Yes, I know Mahler was not telling a romantic tragedy in M6, but grief is grief is grief, in my opinion.)
I first heard the Ninth on Saturday, June 13, 2009.  It was the day before my last performance with the Willowbrook High School Orchestra; this performance was at graduation, to add to the emotion.  I had to switch high schools for the 2009-2010 school year (the educational program that served students with visual impairments was moving) and my parents and I were furious about it.  While there had first been some indication that I might be able to stay where I was (I don't need many support services) we had found out the day before that in fact no, I could not stay.
Only when faced with leaving the (reasonably) good high school orchestra I was in did I really start to love where I was and the people involved in the last two months of that school year.  I had formed some close relationships over that two-month period, and being somewhat of an emotional person already I was totally lost when it came time for my final concert (not counting Graduation) and when it came time to really say good-bye to everyone, especially those friends I had drawn closer to in the closing months.
So yeah, that's my story with M9.  I listened to the Ninth (performed by Bruno Walter in 1961) on Napster (that $5 all-you-can-listen-to music membership came in handy) and walked away with a feeling of serenity.  Again, I know Mahler's original meaning in the music was to portray those emotions associated with upcoming death, but I could identify so clearly with Mahler's love of what is being lost--it felt as though his music spoke directly to me--and I cannot honestly think that Mahler would have been displeased by attachment and identification with the work's theme.
Michael

Offline John Kim

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 06:31:57 PM »
Well reported, Michael.

The first time I heard a Mahler I thought it was crap (oops, sorry Mr. Mahler ;)). I think it was M4th. But when I heard it again in less than 3 days, all of sudden I was awed by its greatness. Don't know what happened; something in my heart and brain must have turned ON.

I see there is a crazily hot debate going on somewhere on internet about why some of are addicted to Mahler. Some lamented that Mahler's music is fundamentally pessimistic and he was mentally unstable when he composed. I solemnly rebuke such an argument; to me Mahler never comes across as a tragic, pessimistic figure. Nor have I ever felt his music is something of a total negation. On the contrary, I feel a great joy, love, triumph over tragedy, and a strong affirmation of life all the time. Even his 'darkest' symphonies, the Sixth and Ninth have something to offer to sooth us, and condole us. Don't they? Just think about it. Of all his symphonies, only the Sixth ends in a minor key.

Michael, I want you to keep these in mind as you develop further your taste for Mahler in the future ;).

John,
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 08:50:53 PM by John Kim »

Offline Michael

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 07:13:12 PM »
Thanks John.  So far, from what I have listened to of the fifth, it seems to be the equivalent to Tchaik 4.  Starts out terrible, gets happier until the end.
As far as emotion in Mahler...the reason I think some like his music is that it covers every range of the emotional spectrum.  And who cares if Mahler was emotionally unstable when he composed, even if that did turn out to be true?  His works, I think, represented his emotions at the time he wrote them.  Let me go back to Tchaik 4...goodness knows he had his own problems, and yet everyone is okay with that work.
Michael

Offline John Kim

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 07:34:07 PM »
It was announced that Haitink will also do a M9th with RCO in Amsterdam.

So, it looks like either the Amsterdam or Chicago performance might be recorded live.

Let's hope he won't skip both ???.

John,

Offline Michael

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 08:39:46 PM »
I think it would make sense for him to do his Ninth for CD with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra on the CSO Resound label.  Goodness knows I hope they do...I'd love to say I was in the audience when a recording was being made!  LOL
Michael

Offline Don

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 11:47:48 PM »
My first Mahler was at 14-15 ( I think it was 1971-72, forgive me for losing my memory!) with the Chicago SO and Sir Georg Solti in the 7th in Decatur, IL while the orchestra was on tour. They recorded it soon after in Urbana.

Made a lasting impression on me as you can tell. You are quite lucky
M10 Fanatic!

Offline Roland Flessner

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 07:04:26 AM »
Michael, thanks for your thoughts on Mahler. You brought back some fine memories for me.

My first recollection of Mahler is seeing M1 on PBS during my freshman year in high school. I, too, was fascinated by the third movement, because of its combination of solemnity and parody simultaneously. After that I started to explore Mahler LPs as paper-route earnings would allow. By the time I first heard the 6th on the radio a couple years later, I could recognize it instantly as Mahler and it quickly became a favorite.

I don't think any of his music is depressing. "Programs" are rarely helpful to me as I prefer to listen to a piece as pure music. Even if one hears the M6 Finale as a hero being vanquished, to me he is validated by the fierce struggle he puts up, and I find consolation in the fact that he was not defeated easily.

Classical music is a gift that helps us connect with our emotions at each stage of our lives. It will pay rich dividends for you in the coming years.

Here's a recommendation for you: In my high school years I grew to love the Prokofiev Sixth Symphony. It is alternately sad, eloquent and anguished. I think you might like it.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 07:44:44 AM »
I don't think any of his music is depressing. "Programs" are rarely helpful to me as I prefer to listen to a piece as pure music. Even if one hears the M6 Finale as a hero being vanquished, to me he is validated by the fierce struggle he puts up, and I find consolation in the fact that he was not defeated easily.

Classical music is a gift that helps us connect with our emotions at each stage of our lives. It will pay rich dividends for you in the coming years.

Here's a recommendation for you: In my high school years I grew to love the Prokofiev Sixth Symphony. It is alternately sad, eloquent and anguished. I think you might like it.
Agreed. Those who declare Mahler as a tragic composer only know A out of ABC.

But I heard MANY people who claim they are true Mahler devotees saying exactly this >:( >:(. And that really pisses me off  ??? >:(.

I second about the Prokofiev 6th. It's a MASTERPIECE!! I think it's even a greater piece than his celebrated 5th.

John,

« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 08:05:50 PM by John Kim »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 07:36:51 PM »
I was wrong!

Mahler could come across as a tragic figure depending on how you listen and perceive his music.

I guess that depends on a lot on your current state of mind; if you're happy Mahler is a happy composer, if you're depressed he is a depressing composer.

After Albert Einstein completed a violin rehearsal in front of his violin teacher, he asked him how he did. The teacher said,

"You played well, RELATIVELY well."

John,
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 08:34:45 PM by John Kim »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk