Author Topic: Wigglesworth/MSO/Mahler Sixth recording  (Read 10259 times)

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: Wigglesworth/MSO/Mahler Sixth recording
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 05:37:45 AM »
Just finished listening to I & II (S).

The first movt. is broad and weighty in a steady tempo. As expected, Wigglesworth is excellent in bringing out all the contrasts in a wide dynamic range, especially in the passage that follows the second theme and leads to the repeat. Here, he slows down the tempo a bit to make the effect even more telling. He also captures many details pretty well. The ending is truly majestic mainly because he doesn't speed it up as much as most other conductors do. The Scherzo is one of the best renditions I ever heard. Wigglesworth skillfully creates variety of moods by changing the tempo and phrasing ever so slightly, emphasizing this instrument over that instrument here and there. In fact, instrumental details that I never heard before are abound throughout the movt. All these effects add to the impression that after all this Scherzo can be played without sounding all that monotonic, as it does under usual circumstances.

So far I've been extremely impressed with the recording.

John,

John, you explain better than I why I love this recording. Especially in relation to the Scherzo. Wigglesworth does play the scherzo differently than I'm used too, as suddenly I hear all this contrast in emotion, or mood. It's the dynamics and sensitivity that makes all the difference. I think Wigglesworth's M10 has similiar qualities, but his M6 is stunning.

--Todd

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 07:02:51 AM »
I got a chance to hear a burnt copy of this, and I agree that it's very good. The first movement keeps a heavy, "trudge-y" feeling throughout the ongoing A-minor march sections, just as it should do. Yet, the two inner movements don't die. In the scherzo, Wigglesworth is very "contrasty" through the various trio sections; infusing the proceedings with lots of sudden accelerandos and ritardandos (much like Rattle). The finale is also expertly paced, and I like the fact that W. takes the final A-minor outburst at the very end of symphony, quite slowly.

I only have one beef and, quite frankly, it's a big one: the cowbells and deep bells are too distant and TOO soft. Near the start of the loud, climactic passage in the Andante movement (towards the end of the movement), the cowbells are pretty much inaudible. At that spot, they're onstage - the only spot in the entire symphony where they're placed onstage - and they're marked fortissimo. They should cut right through the loud, unison horns there.

I also can't hear the deep bells at all when they make their final appearance in the symphony. Those deep bells come in just before the last appearance of the offstage cowbells - the soft passage before the final, allegro "charge" section (in othe words, it's during the soft section located after the second hammer-stroke). Otherwise, this is a very good Mahler 6, especially in regards to tempi and tempo relationships.   
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 07:31:48 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 10:29:04 PM »
Barry,

I agree with you on these issues. Otherwise, I love Wigglesworth's way with M6th. I hope he will record more Mahler in the future.

Regards,

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk