Author Topic: Zander/PO/Linn Mahler Resurrection SACD has been released  (Read 9685 times)

Offline John Kim

Offline Russell

Re: Zander/PO/Linn Mahler Resurrection SACD has been released
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 04:25:56 PM »
It's available for download (up to 24/192) from Linn Records here:

http://www.linnrecords.com/recording-mahler-symphony-no-2-resurrection.aspx

Russell

Offline Russell

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 11:34:32 PM »
No Zander recording is complete without his famous, in-depth discussions; in this case, his discussion of the M2 is available as a free download from Linn here (all 106 minutes of it!):

http://www.linnrecords.com/recording-mahler-symphony-no--2-discussion-disc.aspx

Russell

Offline brunumb

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 02:58:59 AM »
Thanks Russell !!!

Offline brunumb

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 08:32:38 PM »
How do I create a disc from the files so that I can listen to it in any CD player rather than use my computer?  Thanks.

Offline waderice

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 09:27:17 PM »
How do I create a disc from the files so that I can listen to it in any CD player rather than use my computer?  Thanks.
You need to convert the audio files you downloaded from that site to .WAV files so that whatever CD burning program you use on your computer can change the .WAV files to .CDA files that make any CD an audio CD.  To do the conversion of the files you downloaded, I suggest using FoxTab Audio Converter (http://foxtab-audio-converter.software.informer.com/).  Download it (it's free) and install on your computer.  It'll take a little working with it to get used to how it works, and once you've converted the downloaded audio files to .WAV files, go ahead and burn your audio CD's.

Wade

Offline brunumb

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 10:50:11 PM »
 :)  Thank you Wade !

Edit:  FoxTab Audio Converter was unavailable  :(

Edit:  Not to worry, found another one   ;D
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 11:59:50 PM by brunumb »

Offline Russell

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 08:45:33 AM »
Bear in mind that CD is only 16 bits/44.1 kHz, so if you downloaded the higher-resolution files (24/96 or 24/192), listening to those files via your computer will sound better (assuming you're feeding the signal via USB to an external DAC).  As for burning a CD, I've noticed that, at least with iTunes on my Mac, the step of converting high-res files to 16/44.1 before burning to CD is not necessary.  I merely select the file(s) and it automatically does the down-conversion to 16/44.1 on-the-fly while burning the CD.  (I assume it up-converts lower-res files, like MP3s, as well.)

Russell

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 02:49:21 PM »
I assume it up-converts lower-res files, like MP3s, as well.

Yes, iTunes up-converts automatically when burning CDs from MP3s.

The real problem with iTunes is that it won't handle FLAC files of any resolution—these must first be converted to a Mac-friendly format like ALAC.

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline Russell

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 09:27:37 PM »
The real problem with iTunes is that it won't handle FLAC files of any resolution—these must first be converted to a Mac-friendly format like ALAC.

James

Very true.  It's not a big deal to convert, but one nice thing about Linn's site is that they offer their files in ALAC format (as well as FLAC and MP3), so no conversion would be necessary for importing into iTunes..

Russell

Offline John Kim

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 06:08:40 AM »
Has anybody heard this recording yet?

Offline waderice

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 02:25:25 PM »
John, I downloaded Zander's free in-depth discussion about M2 and the problems encountered in performing it.  However, I haven't ordered the SACD as of yet.  What I heard in his discussion and the accompanying musical examples sounded pretty good to me, performance-wise.  From it, I deduce that it's obvious he's gleaned every possible bit of information and studied the problems involved in conducting the work, and juxtaposed those against the recorded performances of other famous conductors who performed the work.  I might suggest you download his discussion and listen to it first, before you draw any final conclusions about his full recorded performance.  Bottom line, I'm open-minded about how certain parts of the work maybe ought be performed, such as the tempo of the final downward string phrase that concludes the first movement, which he discusses.

Wade

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 12:18:32 AM »
Since I really don't have time to do the download, and since I'm not going to be purchasing the CDs, could you summarize his thoughts about the tempo for the descending run at the end of the first movement? Much appreciated.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 03:26:20 PM »
Here is the Boston Globe review:

" MAHLER: Symphony No. 2, “Resurrection”

Benjamin Zander, Philharmonia Orchestra

(Linn Records, 3 CDs)

With the announcement, in 2009, that Telarc Records would no longer produce its own recordings, it seemed all too possible that Benjamin Zander would never finish his Mahler symphony cycle with the Philharmonia Orchestra of London. So it’s good to see their performance of Symphony No. 2, the “Resurrection,” recorded last year and now out on Glasgow-based Linn Records, which has already in its catalog CDs of Martin Pearlman and Boston Baroque in Haydn’s “The Creation” and “Lord Nelson” Mass. We can hope — and expect — that Zander will be able to complete his cycle with the Seventh and Eighth.

There’s more good news: This release includes the usual Zander discussion disc, in which he goes well beyond what you normally find in liner notes to explicate the music. Of special note here is the background of Mahler’s relationship with the great conductor Hans von Bülow, Zander’s notion of rubato in the second-movement ländler, and his helpful interpretation of the sprawling last movement as a series of panels in a fresco.

The performance itself is expansive, running just over 90 minutes. It’s scrupulous; if you follow along with a score, you can observe how carefully Zander has adhered to Mahler’s markings, including his glissandos and portamentos. It’s tender and reverent, and full of detail. Some will want greater agony and anguish, greater contrast within each movement, more cogent shaping of phrases, and a firmer overall arc. Linn’s recording is also a bit problematic; the brass, particularly the trumpets, sound recessed, and the ruthe (a kind of drum beater) is barely audible. Soprano Miah Persson and mezzo Sarah Connolly, on the other hand, are excellent, and Zander rises to the challenge of the closing pages. I suspect this Second will reward repeated listenings, but it should be supplemented by a more muscular interpretation like Otto Klemperer’s with the same orchestra or William Steinberg’s with the BSO."

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 09:09:52 PM »
"Mahler’s relationship with the great conductor Hans von Bülow, Zander’s notion of rubato in the second-movement ländler, and his helpful interpretation of the sprawling last movement as a series of panels in a fresco."

No offense, but none of that is really news.

"and the ruthe (a kind of drum beater) is barely audible"

Ruthe is a 'bunch' of birch branches tied together, struck against either the head or the wooden shell of the drum (usually the wooden shell in M2). It comes from the Turkish 'Janissary' bands, then Haydn adopted it for his "Military" symphony.  The rest is Mahlerian history. Also, 'barely audible' ain't a good thing.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 09:14:29 PM by barry guerrero »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk