Author Topic: M. Stenz Mahler 6 (Oehms)  (Read 8880 times)

Offline Roland Flessner

Re: M. Stenz Mahler 6 (Oehms)
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2015, 04:43:48 AM »
Todd, if M6 at brisk tempos is to your taste, try Kubelik. Timings for his BVRSO studio recording:

1. 21:12 (with exposition repeat)
2. 11:45 (Scherzo)
3. 14:42 (Andante)
4. 26:37

Although I prefer generally slower tempos, Kubelik makes it work, as only he could.

Offline waderice

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2015, 02:47:27 PM »
I have always sworn by Kubelik's BVRSO DG recording of M6.  I remember a critic recommending this one many, many years ago, and it has stood the test of time (and many other newcomers).  Thankfully, before I sold my reel-to-reel version of this particular recording, I made a CD-R transfer of it.

Also, I have delayed getting Kubelik's entire DG cycle for all these years.  It is on my Amazon wish list for purchase, along with Tennstedt's, when funds permit.

Wade

Offline Roland Flessner

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2015, 05:15:59 AM »
Although my favorite Mahler is whatever I happen to be listening to at the moment, if pressed I would have to say M6. At one time I had more than 35 recordings, though I've let a number of them go to other listeners. Some I like a lot, but in a way I despair of ever hearing a performance that's completely satisfactory. I would like to hear Stenz.

I have the earlier issue of the Kubelik set. I wouldn't part with it, but it's a space waster with three triple-width jewel boxes in a slipcase. I like the idea of the current issue, a thinner cardboard box, probably with cardboard sleeves. I don't know if it's remastered, but my set is quite listenable, though the sound is a bit dated.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk