Author Topic: D.H. reviews two new M2s  (Read 9856 times)

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
Re: D.H. reviews two new M2s
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2009, 08:28:32 PM »
But I'm really bothered over the cymbals being buried in the orchestral texture (and they sound pretty dull, to boot)--almost takes it out of the running for me... 

I agree.  This will never be a first tier recommendation of mine, since the lack of cymbals really robs some of the first and last movements' big spots of their impact.  Still, much of it is really superb. 
Scott

Offline wagnerlover

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 08:02:26 PM »
Based on the review I went out and bought the Eschenbach/PO M2.   I like the performance BUT.   I think it's engineered badly.  Very lacking in treble presence. 

My favorites are still Ozawa and the Boston; and Mehta and the NYPO.

db

Offline Damfino

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 09:11:09 PM »
Considering how good the Ondine Eschenbach/PO recordings of M6 and the Saint-Saens organ symphony sounded in multi-channel SACD, I wonder if this CD only release was a rushed and bungled mix-down of the multi-channel recording? Maybe some of the high end got left behind in the mixdown?

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 12:52:07 AM »
I'm guessing that your suspicions are correct. I believe that Ondine pretty much lost interest after the official announcement that Eschenbach and Philly were parting ways. Is Philly really going to be better off under Dutoit? Isn't he sort of a "been there/done that", type of commodity? And wouldn't he be better suited for Boston, where they already have a long tradition of excelling in French repertoire?

I'm hopeful that Ondine will still issue an 8th with Eschenbach. I don't care how badly he conducts it - I want THAT organ, AND those Philly tam-tam smashes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk