Author Topic: more thoughts on the mystery Mahler 8 on Youtube (in 8 parts).  (Read 7149 times)

Offline barry guerrero

more thoughts on the mystery Mahler 8 on Youtube (in 8 parts).
« on: November 13, 2009, 08:50:19 AM »
Wow, it sure is a mystery to me. It's divided into 8 parts, each lasting 10 minutes. That means that this is a relatively fast performance, clocking in at barely 80 minutes. What's strange, is that there's no applause at the end, or any other audience noise what so ever. The sound is excellent, which makes me think that it could be a "studio" performance. Yet, it's clearly not any of the existing commercial recordings out there (or I'll eat my hat!). The playing is excellent. On the whole, the women aren't nearly as good as they are on the MTT/SFSO M8; yet, the baritone and bass-baritone are clearly better (I would say that it's a tie for the tenor spot). The organ is really strong, and the tam-tam is definitely a Wuhan, not a Paiste. That eliminates Eschenbach/Orchestre de Paris. It also eliminates any British performance, unless the BBC Phil. or Bournemouth S.O. are using a Wuhan these days. The tempi are too quick to be Lorin Maazel, and the conducting is too straight forward to be either Eschenbach or MTT (unless Eschenbach has greatly smoothed out his "interpretation" since his Paris performance).

It can't be the Gergiev one from St. Paul's Cathedral (wrong gong, and wrong acoustic), and the sound is probably too good to have been Gergiev's Rotterdam performance. It definitely does not sound like the Vienna Phil., so it couldn't have been Boulez's live performance from the Musikverein (which supposedly has a new organ these days). It's also too fast to be Boulez anyway. It's definitely not the recent Inbal, as that one is already posted on Youtube (and some of the tempi are quite different). So, here a few guesses that I have:

My #1 suspicion is this: it's a teaser for the upcoming Zinman/TOZ M8 release for RCA.

#2: It could Eschenbach/Philly, but only if Eschenbach has smoothed out some of his more eccentric sounding moments. But how would they have gotten ALL of the audience noise out?

#3:  It's a studio performance from Wien's Konzerthaus, possibly involving the Vienna Radio Symphony and Billy de Brandt (whatever his name is). However, I think that that performance hasn't happened yet.

#4: Maybe Fabio Luisi recently did it in Dresden. However, everybody would be all over that one.

#5: It's some performance from Scandinavia, involving some new hall that has a rockin' organ. If so, then it could be Alan Gilbert (didn't he do a full cycle in Stockholm?) or Esa-Pekka Salonen.

#6 (and my most far-out guess): It's something that happened at the converted train station in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

Regardless, give this one a spin - it's quite good! It's easy to identify it because all 8 parts have no picture what-so-ever. Also, there are no credits given to the performers at all. It's just one big, Mahlerian sized mystery, captured in excellent sound.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 09:03:22 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline barry guerrero

Re: more thoughts on the mystery Mahler 8 on Youtube (in 8 parts).
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 10:15:59 AM »
OK, I think I MIGHT have guessed right. The same person has posted a "mystery" Mahler 3, and I think it's the Zinman. If anybody has the time, energy, and interest, how 'bout lending me a hand in figuring this out. Obviously, you'd have to know some of the trademarks of the Zinman M3. If it's the Zinman M8, sign me up! I like it.

Barry

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 04:16:54 PM »
Well, I'm not sure I can guess, but it sure is one hell of a performance...I hope we can find out!  I even posted a question to the guy who uploaded it!

--Todd

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 04:20:24 PM »
By the way, I was listening to the Finale excerpt from your previous thread Barry...yet I can't find the other parts of this M8...could you provide me with a link?

Thx!

--Todd

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 07:49:36 PM »
Todd,

The poster of the mystery Mahler 8 just responded to your inquiry. He says it's the Robert Shaw/Atlanta Symphony performance.

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 08:17:15 PM »
Todd,

The poster of the mystery Mahler 8 just responded to your inquiry. He says it's the Robert Shaw/Atlanta Symphony performance.

James

Very interesting!  I'll have to track that down here on the internet.  I really like this performance, or at least of what I've heard so far.

--Todd

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 09:40:58 PM »
I guess I'll begin eating my hat. Anyway, the Robert Shaw one has its followers. I don't recall the organ sounding anywhere that strong on the Shaw. I also remember liking the female vocalists on the R. Shaw more than I did last night. Anyway, it just goes to show - crank it up!!! I should follow my own advice.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 10:09:54 PM by barry guerrero »

Offline Zoltan

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 11:36:00 AM »
Interesting result!

I listen and enjoy Vaughan Williams' "Sea Symphony" with the same Atlanta forces under Robert Spano. That recording has a nice organ pedal playing at the begin of the fourth movement (even if it is a quiet passage) and great choir singing (I just wish for more orchestral detail sometimes, but that might be a problem due to Williams' scoring?)!

As Leo pointed out, I have trouble finding the other parts. Could you provide us with the links, Barry?

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 07:51:37 AM »
"Could you provide us with the links, Barry?"

It couldn't be easier. Just type in "Mahler 8" at Youtube, and just keep going through the many pages that come up. The 8 parts to this particular M8 are easy to identify, because no credits are given at all, and there's no art work showing at all - just a blank, black screen for each one. Just keep flipping through the pages - they're there.

Barry 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk