Author Topic: Saw BSO M5 last night...  (Read 4772 times)

Offline mahler09

Saw BSO M5 last night...
« on: October 17, 2010, 07:28:53 PM »
...and it was awesome!
I think that a lot of times we get caught up with the nuances of various recordings, but they hardly compare to hearing a live performance of Mahler.  The orchestra sounded great under Levine and the brass section (which has gotten quite a few new members within the past few years) was on fire.  I especially appreciated the program notes- they were very in-depth (9 pages, plus 3 more of resources and such!) and included a several lesser-known quotes and pictures.  I knew a lot of the information already but the author, Steven Ledbetter, included many new details and clearly did his research, while making it approachable for newcomers.  Also, it was mentioned in the preconcert talk that they will be continuing their Mahler cycle next year.  They did M4, M7 last year and M2, M5 this year with M9 to come....so we could be looking at M3, M1, and M8 (?).  Overall it was an excellent experience.

Offline waderice

Re: Saw BSO M5 last night...
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 11:15:04 PM »
What's an even bigger high is to PERFORM Mahler!  I sang in the chorus in M2 in 1973 and M8 in 1974.

Wade

Offline mahler09

Re: Saw BSO M5 last night...
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 03:10:50 AM »
That sounds wonderful!  I can't wait to play him someday too!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk