Author Topic: just received Knud Martner's book, "Mahler's Concerts"  (Read 7030 times)

Offline barry guerrero

just received Knud Martner's book, "Mahler's Concerts"
« on: September 29, 2011, 09:59:57 AM »
It's a complete listing of everything Mahler ever conducted that they know about. I haven't had a chance to go through it yet.

Barry

Offline waderice

Re: just received Knud Martner's book, "Mahler's Concerts"
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 12:13:47 PM »
Surprisingly, I bought this book during the first days of Border's Books and Music closure sale - and what a wonderful reference to have on hand.  My jaw about dropped when I saw that Mahler had conducted an all-Wagner concert with the NY Philharmonic at the National Theater here in Washington, DC, a few months before his death.  About the only drawback is that it doesn't document Mahler's performances of opera (though the book title says "Concerts"), and I wish it documented these as well.  I'm sure that Mahler's performances at the Met can be found rather easily.

On the left page of the open book, one can see a marquee poster announcing the upcoming concert that was conducted by Mahler, and the right page documents the full details of the concert itself.  Indexes are very thorough as well.

Wade

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 04:35:42 PM »
I was thumbing through it this morning, and I can see that it's a REALLY HANDY reference. It's a lot like that Fulop discography book - just as well organized. Gilbert Kaplan told me that Knud Martner knows absolutely everything there is to know about Mahler.

Offline Jot N. Tittle

• Meine Zeit wird noch kommen.
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 07:12:33 PM »
....Gilbert Kaplan told me that Knud Martner knows absolutely everything there is to know about Mahler.

Barry, since you know him, could you please urge Gilbert to issue on DVD his wonderful pre-concert talk about Mahler. Sure would like to have that. Thanks.

. & '

Offline Toblacher

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 07:32:17 PM »
Last year in the gift shop at the Vienna State Opera I purchased a book "Gustav Mahler, Mahlers Operreform und die Weiner Moderne", no author is listed on the cover, only that it was published by "Staatsopermuseum".  It is a 135 page coffee-table book (with photos and illustrations) that chronicles GM's time there.  It lists ever opera he conducted there, as well as a photo and short bio of all the opera stars he worked with.  It is in both side-by-side German and English.

It is truly a "must have" for any Mahlerian.  Possibly contact the Staatsopermusuem or it's website to purchase it.  Or go to Vienna!

Offline waderice

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 09:23:16 PM »
Last year in the gift shop at the Vienna State Opera I purchased a book "Gustav Mahler, Mahlers Operreform und die Weiner Moderne", no author is listed on the cover, only that it was published by "Staatsopermuseum".  It is a 135 page coffee-table book (with photos and illustrations) that chronicles GM's time there.  It lists ever opera he conducted there, as well as a photo and short bio of all the opera stars he worked with.  It is in both side-by-side German and English.

It is truly a "must have" for any Mahlerian.  Possibly contact the Staatsopermusuem or it's website to purchase it.  Or go to Vienna!

I bought this at the Staatsopermuseum when I was in Vienna a year ago.  Also, a wonderful book!

Wade

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 12:46:31 AM »
Barry, since you know him .   .    . 

I was invited to a lunch with Mr. Kaplan clear back when BMG reissued his L.S.O. M2 with the DVD-Rom. No way would he remember me now. It was a very nice, languorous lunch though. At the time, he struck me as a truly great guy.

Offline hrandall

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 11:59:26 PM »
Barry, since you know him .   .    . 

I was invited to a lunch with Mr. Kaplan clear back when BMG reissued his L.S.O. M2 with the DVD-Rom. No way would he remember me now. It was a very nice, languorous lunch though. At the time, he struck me as a truly great guy.

Having just seen Gilbert Kaplan's multimedia presentation last week to open the New England Conservatory's Mahler festival, I would heartily agree this needs to be released on DVD or online somehow.

Unfortunately there was no chance to meet Mr. Kaplan after his presentation. He came across during his presentation as thoughtful, sincere, deeply moved by Mahler's music, of course, and perhaps in the biggest surprise for me - humble, in the best sense of the word. I believe he used the word "I" once or maybe twice in the entire 75 minute talk.

I would say without hesitation that it was one of the very best presentations - on any topic - I've ever seen.

Cheers,
Herb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk