Author Topic: Revisiting a not-so-old friend (Barenboim M7)  (Read 6228 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Revisiting a not-so-old friend (Barenboim M7)
« on: April 13, 2013, 08:07:20 AM »
I've really enjoyed getting reacquainted with the Barenboim M7 on Warner Classics. It's very well played and recorded. More importantly, it's one of the few M7 recordings where BOTH of the last two movements are great. It may not be the very best (what is?), but it has to be right up there. 

I saw Barenboim do M7 in Carnegie Hall with the C.S.O., but I think this Staatskapelle Berlin one is even better.

Offline merlin

• Evening Sun
Re: Revisiting a not-so-old friend (Barenboim M7)
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 09:16:14 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation, Barry.  I have his Beethoven symphonies box with the same orchestra, and his attempt to follow in the footsteps of Furtwangler fell far short.

So good to hear that his M7 fills the bill.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 03:16:28 AM »
Well,    .   .    .   I don't think that his Berlin Beethoven sounds anything like Furtwaengler's. Was he trying to emulate him?  I like that cycle very much, to be honest.

Offline merlin

• Evening Sun
Re: Revisiting a not-so-old friend (Barenboim)
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 03:36:26 PM »
Relative to Barenboim/LvB, the SQ is very good, and nos. 6, 7 and 8 are well-performed.  His 9th was a huge disappointment, lacking passion and excitement.  Not even as good as Vanska, and definitely not in same league as Furtwangler, Fricsay, Wand, and Karajan '63.  Better than Giulini, though.

As for no. 3, not bad, but no match for Karajan '63 or Bernstein/NYPO.  Same with no. 5, and of course with this one it is hard to beat Kleiber.

All this is surprising, given that his LvB violin concerto with Perlman/BPO is still at the top.  Perhaps he has lost a great deal with age, and it has not been replaced by more profound insights either.

But given your experience, I will have another listen.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 04:41:49 PM by merlin »

Offline merlin

• Evening Sun
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 10:33:23 PM »
Relative to Barenboim and Furtwangler, here is the link to an article about the latter, ostensibly written by Daniel.

http://www.danielbarenboim.com/journal/why-wilhelm-furtwaengler-still-moves-us-today.html

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk