Author Topic: M4/Stenz/Cologne G-O, The summer of M4 starts off on a high note!  (Read 6130 times)

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
M4/Stenz/Cologne G-O, The summer of M4 starts off on a high note!

We will have an abundance of M4’s on SACD this summer with releases by Honeck/Pittsburgh, and Inbal/Tokyo MSO, and Stenz/Gurzenich Orchestra Cologne.  I’ll have to wait on the Japan-releases of Honeck and Inbal since I don’t plan on placing my annual HMV order until late in August (when Who’s Next is supposed to be released on SACD).  I downloaded MP3’s of the Stenz via eMusic and like it enough that I’ve now ordered the SACD.  I’ll also mention that I’ve heard from a forum member that the Inbal one is worth purchasing.  

I’ve had the Stenz on auto-repeat in my car over the last few days and it is easily one of my very favorites.  I can literally find nothing overly-bothersome about which to complain.  The tempos overall are brisk, which is my preference in M4.  However, Stenz definitely takes his time with the slower sections of the first movement, and picks up the pace wherever appropriate.  Similarly, in the third movement he plays the “heavenly” variation rather briskly and slows down substantially for the “earthly” variation.  There is ton of inner detail everywhere, and the big moments are played to the hilt.  The big climax of the first movement has a very audible tam-tam.  The accelerating section of the adagio is as perfect as I’ve ever heard.  To me, it is here that “heavenly” variation wins out over the “earthly” one by convincing the child of the fun and enjoyment awaiting.  As such, the section should develop into something exciting (and convincingly so for a child – I picture a child being twirled around faster and faster…weeeeee) or it completely misses the point.  The big climax in the adagio is overwhelming.  My thinking is out of order here, but the scherzo is quite brisk and has a very devilish quality to it.  

The soloist has a boyish-quality to her voice.  I may not like her voice as much as Miah Persson’s in the recent Fischer recording, but I much prefer the overall result here.  
Oh yeah… I forgot to mention that the Sleigh bells are wonderfully meaty.  

In summary…my highest recommendation.  Stenz is 2 for 2 on his current Mahler cycle.  
Scott

Offline John Kim

Re: M4/Stenz/Cologne G-O, The summer of M4 starts off on a high note!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 10:44:45 PM »
Scott,

Your description of the Stenz M4th reminds of Lenny's first recording with NYPO/Griest which I like very much.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

Re: M4/Stenz/Cologne G-O, The summer of M4 starts off on a high note!
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 12:18:06 AM »
Yes, the Stenz 4th is quite good, and has a terrific scherzo. Agreed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk