Author Topic: OT: DG's upcoming Vienna Phil. Bruckner box!  (Read 5778 times)

Offline barryguerrero

OT: DG's upcoming Vienna Phil. Bruckner box!
« on: June 20, 2024, 05:26:42 PM »
Check this out. For once, DG got it right in curating a box such as this. It's all with the Vienna Phil. Your conductors are: B1 - Abbado (Sofiensaal); B2 - Muti (live from Salzburg); B3 - Haitink (Musikverein, studio); B4 - Karl Boehm (Sofiensaal); B5 - Maazel (Sofiensaal); M6 - Horst Stein (Sofiensaal); B7 - Karajan (Musikverein, live); B8 - Boulez (Musikverein, studio); B9 - Giulini (Musikverein). These are all great!

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9636544--anton-bruckner-symphonies-1-9

Offline waderice

Re: OT: DG's upcoming Vienna Phil. Bruckner box!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2024, 11:27:48 AM »
Barry, sounds like a great box, but it appears that they were unable to come across recordings  made by renown conductors for the two early symphonies before No. 1.  Not that they were absolutely necessary, but just thought I'd make mention of that.

Wade

Offline Roland Flessner

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2024, 02:47:06 AM »
Barry, my issue of the Boulez B8 was recorded at St. Florian. Did he make another recording in Vienna?

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2024, 05:23:00 AM »
I thought the video was made at St. Florian, but that the audio was a studio recording from the Musikverein. It doesn't sound live. I'll check it tomorrow.

As for the Zero and double Zero, DG did make a 'zero' symphony with Barenboim/C.S.O. However, that's certainly not an issue with me, as I don't feel the early Bruckner symphonies are anywhere as musically strong as the later ones.

Offline waderice

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2024, 10:38:21 AM »
As for the Zero and double Zero, DG did make a 'zero' symphony with Barenboim/C.S.O. However, that's certainly not an issue with me, as I don't feel the early Bruckner symphonies are anywhere as musically strong as the later ones.
Barry, I knew about the Barenboim/CSO "Zero" symphony, but I thought that DG wanted to keep all of the Bruckner symphony recordings confined to those made only by the VPO.

Wade

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2024, 04:28:49 AM »
Oh, yes. My bad - my mind jumped a few tracks! They should have included it as a 'bonus' anyway. It would have been nice if they had thrown in the Karajan or Haitink recording of the "Te Deum" with the V.P.O. as well. 
« Last Edit: June 24, 2024, 04:55:56 AM by barryguerrero »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk