Author Topic: Mengelberg M4  (Read 5336 times)

Offline chris

Mengelberg M4
« on: December 28, 2007, 07:40:03 PM »
No one has really talked about this one - I know historic recordings aren't well loved around here, but has anyone checked out the new Pristine Audio Remaster of Mengelberg's M4? 

http://www.pristineclassical.com/LargeWorks/Orchestral/PASC055.php

I haven't heard any previous issues, but for a 1939 recording this sounds phenomenal.   I haven't made my way through the whole thing, but there's a lot of odd tempo shifts in the first movement.   It's an interesting reading if nothing else.

Offline Jeff Wozniak

Re: Mengelberg M4
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 08:28:44 PM »
The picture of Mengelberg in the link you provided looks like a composite of Moe, Larry & Curly.

;D

Offline chris

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 09:27:10 PM »
The picture of Mengelberg in the link you provided looks like a composite of Moe, Larry & Curly.

A wise guy, eh?   Why I oughta...

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 05:13:56 AM »
It's well known that the Three Stooges used to do standup comedy at the "Melkweg" club in Amsterdam for years - long before they came to Hollywood. Mengelberg used to d.j. there also.

Offline stillivor

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 11:51:58 AM »
I'm one of those who relishes older recordings, the worde the sound, the more mistakes from the performers the better.      ???

When I went to the Pristine site, I was asked ro download some Adobe thingy. Is that alright? Will I be charged an arm and a leg? Can I hear it without the download? Heeeeeeeeelp

Ivor

Offline chris

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 02:17:13 PM »
I'm one of those who relishes older recordings, the worde the sound, the more mistakes from the performers the better.      ???

When I went to the Pristine site, I was asked ro download some Adobe thingy. Is that alright? Will I be charged an arm and a leg? Can I hear it without the download?

Towards the bottom of the page, under "Find out more" you can hear the 4th movement only.   If you want to buy the whole performance, it's seven euros for the mp3.

Offline Jeff Wozniak

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 06:17:40 PM »
I too love the older recordings.  As an audiophile it's really interesting.  I love the amazing sound I get from the high quality LPs put out by Speakers Corner, Analogue Productions, etc, but have no problem listening to old Furtwangler recordings.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk