Author Topic: Colorado MahlerFest  (Read 5560 times)

Offline brunumb

Colorado MahlerFest
« on: May 31, 2009, 02:33:45 AM »
Can anyone please advise me on which, if any, of their performances are considered to be 'must haves' in any Mahlerite's collection.

Offline Don

Re: Colorado MahlerFest
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 01:32:34 PM »
The 1995 M8 is worth getting, a committed, exciting performance. Well recorded too.
M10 Fanatic!

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 03:54:12 PM »
I have the M3, M4, M6, and two M9s, M10 and like them all. Olson said the first M9 was the best he ever had done, but he said it before he tackled it second time around: both M9s are excellent.

John,

Offline brunumb

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 07:33:22 AM »
Thank you gentlemen !
If I was restricted to getting just one recording, which should it be ?

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 02:46:45 PM »
Thank you gentlemen !
If I was restricted to getting just one recording, which should it be ?

I have the whole cycle, but have not really dug in yet besides the M3...but his 2005 M9 is a great performance, this may be a great way to go.

--Todd

Offline mike bosworth

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 03:22:43 AM »
There are a couple of Mahlerfest performances with 'historical' value.  The complete M10 is the first recording of the Joe Wheeler performing version (as edited by Olson et. al.).  Olson went on to record it again on Naxos (Polish National Symphony?).

At the recent Mahlerfest last month (8th Symphony), I picked up the just released Mahlerfest recording of the 1880 'original' version of Das klagende Lied (from two performances in Jan. 2008, both of which I attended).  To my knowledge, this is only the second recording on CD of the 1880 three-part original after the Kent Nagano world premiere (there is also a Vladimir Jurowski version out on DVD now).

I really enjoyed the recent three performances of M8 on May 15-17 in Boulder (the first being the dress rehearsal).  My only quibble, similar to 2008's DkL, is that the choral forces, particularly the male voices, were a bit overwhelmed at times due to sheer lack of numbers.  This becomes apparent at several spots in part 3 of DkL--I haven't listened to parts 1 and 2 yet, but this confirms the impression I had at the live performances.  But it's hard to complain when you consider the largely volunteer nature of the Mahlerfests over the past 22 years, and the limited stage space of Macky Auditorium, which did however boast an excellent organ for the M8 concerts.

By the way, Olson's very deliberate pacing in DkL offers an interesting contrast to the much quicker tempi of Jurowski.

Mike Bosworth
Hanoi

Offline jeighson

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 01:55:27 AM »
There are a couple of Mahlerfest performances with 'historical' value.  The complete M10 is the first recording of the Joe Wheeler performing version (as edited by Olson et. al.).  Olson went on to record it again on Naxos (Polish National Symphony?).

At the recent Mahlerfest last month (8th Symphony), I picked up the just released Mahlerfest recording of the 1880 'original' version of Das klagende Lied (from two performances in Jan. 2008, both of which I attended).  To my knowledge, this is only the second recording on CD of the 1880 three-part original after the Kent Nagano world premiere (there is also a Vladimir Jurowski version out on DVD now).

I really enjoyed the recent three performances of M8 on May 15-17 in Boulder (the first being the dress rehearsal).  My only quibble, similar to 2008's DkL, is that the choral forces, particularly the male voices, were a bit overwhelmed at times due to sheer lack of numbers.  This becomes apparent at several spots in part 3 of DkL--I haven't listened to parts 1 and 2 yet, but this confirms the impression I had at the live performances.  But it's hard to complain when you consider the largely volunteer nature of the Mahlerfests over the past 22 years, and the limited stage space of Macky Auditorium, which did however boast an excellent organ for the M8 concerts.

By the way, Olson's very deliberate pacing in DkL offers an interesting contrast to the much quicker tempi of Jurowski.

Mike Bosworth
Hanoi

Does anyone know if the singing portions of DkL on the Jurowski DVD are competently subtitled?

Offline jeighson

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 09:18:45 PM »
they are.  i took a chance and bought it :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk