Author Topic: Terrence Malick's new film 'The Tree of Life' (OOT)  (Read 7184 times)

Offline John Kim

Terrence Malick's new film 'The Tree of Life' (OOT)
« on: May 20, 2011, 06:06:53 AM »
The reclusive and legendary American filmmaker Terrence Malick's new film is creating a sensation at Cannes Film Festival right now.

Malick's opus has been sparse and rare; he has directed only five pieces over the period of 40 years - 'Badlands', 'Days of heaven', 'The Thin Red Line', 'New World', and 'The Tree of Life'.

Has anyone living close to Cannes seen the movie?

It's domestic release is 5/27 but here in Seattle I have to wait until 6/17.

I am an avid fan of Malick and so can't wait! ::) :-\ ??? >:(

John,

Offline sbugala

Re: Terrence Malick's new film 'The Tree of Life' (OOT)
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 06:23:31 AM »
I like his films, too.  "Badlands" and "The Thin Red Line" are two of my favorites.  I'm also looking forward to "The Tree of Life."  So far, as much as they're worth, the reviews are good.

Offline Damfino

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 03:04:21 PM »
I never saw The New World, but I liked Mallick's previous films. Days of Heaven is the only one I watch repeatedly and regard as a masterpiece. I am curious about the new film. Everything has been pretty hush-hush about it up until now.

Dave

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 03:57:16 PM »
IMO, every film by Terry is a masterpiece. I particularly LOVE The Thin Red Line, arguably the greatest War movie ever came out of Hollywood.

The New World is equally mesmerising, if a bit less abstract than the previous opus.

I hear that The Tree of Life is his boldest, grandest, and most personal film, but his next output  (of which he is currently working on editing) is even bolder and more radical ::) :D.

Can't wait until 6/17.

John,

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 07:37:13 PM »
Nearly all of the top critics have given a top grade for this film.

Read for example, the following rapturous review:

http://www.hollywoodnews.com/2011/05/20/review-tree-of-life-makes-a-compelling-argument-for-transcendence-in-cinema-and-in-life/

Now the critics are comparing The Tree of Life to Kubrick's '2001: A Space Odyssey'!

John,

Offline stillivor

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 07:14:08 AM »
Considering the paucity of his output. does anyone know how he pays the bills?

Ivor

Offline John Kim

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 08:02:57 AM »
Considering the paucity of his output. does anyone know how he pays the bills?

Ivor
That's a good question and I was wondering about that too.

I heard he was once in a teaching position at MIT after graduating from Harvard with a degree in philosophy.

He was also a journalist, a screenplay writer, and a movie producer.

So, he may have done OK, if not great, for his finance.

John,

Offline BeethovensQuill

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 07:16:24 PM »
I cant wait to see Tree of Life either apparently music is integrated into the story and even Mahler's 1st read here -
http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/charlottehigginsblog/2011/may/19/classical-music-cannes-festival-2011

Offline John Kim

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 03:27:10 AM »
It won the Palme D'Or at the Cannes!!! ;D :D :D

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/livefrom/post/2011/05/tree-of-life-tops-a-list-of-deserving-winners-as-festival-comes-to-a-close/1

Congratulations Terry!!

I eagerly look forward to seeing your new masterpiece in June!

John,

Offline John Kim

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 04:52:39 PM »
I finally watched it last night.

This film is far more abstract, harder to grasp and reach than I expected, but there is no denying that it's Malick's finest achievement, full of amazing images where every scene means something, with deep and philosophical voice-over, great special effects.

Its main story is remembering the oldest son who died at the age of 18 through the second son (played by current day Sean Penn), and it provokes various thoughts about where we all came from and why we are here, what's the best way to live this life, etc.

There is even a glimpse into heaven near the end where every member in Sean's family reunites. This was an absolutely mind boggling moment! :o

As for the film score, I could hear pieces by Mahler (guess which symphony?), Smetana, Goreki, Brahms, and Berlioz.

I am not sure if I followed everything Malick really tried to convey and for that I will have to see the film again, but for some reason it's been lingering in my mind since I walked out the theater.

It's that great an experience.

John,
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 05:50:17 PM by John Kim »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 09:02:48 AM »
Sorry, but I plan to rent "Battle: Los Angeles" instead. It won't win anything - except maybe for special effects - but I like movies about L.A. Giants fans should love any movie where L.A. gets destroyed by aliens or natural disasters  ;D

I actually like L.A. so I'm rooting 'for our side'.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 09:16:40 AM by barry guerrero »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk