Author Topic: mahler 10 (Cooke) w/Seattle S.O. (T. Dausgaard) - excerpts sound great!  (Read 7555 times)

Offline barry guerrero

The snippets for each movement sound pretty good!

https://www.amazon.com/Mahler-Symphony-F-Sharp-Minor-Completed/dp/B01G2M8UWO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464051756&sr=8-1&keywords=mahler+10+seattle

I've ascertained that the timings are such:  I - 23:15: II - 11:05; III - 4:06; IV - 10:57 (that's pretty fast!); V - 22:26

These concerts received rave reviews in the Seattle press. I'm going to give this a shot.

Maybe John Kim heard these concerts and will chime in.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 01:14:12 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline John Kim

Unfortunately, I missed the concerts. But I am sure they were as good as the critics said they were.

Thomas Dausgaard has been conducting the work all over the world, so it's not surprising.

Offline Russell

This has just been made available as a hi-res download (96/24) from ProStudioMasters:

http://www.prostudiomasters.com/album/page/8225

Good price, too.  (Will last about a week or so.)

Russell

Offline hrandall

I pre-ordered this on Amazon yesterday but it already seems to be out of stock. It is available in Spotify to listen beginning today, though.

Offline barry guerrero

It's an excellent recording of the Cooke version. Great conducting. What few changes Dausgaard makes, make total sense. The recording sounds excellent and the Seattle Symphony play like Mahlerian gods. Like the Ormandy version, the entire piece goes by in one breathe. Yet, the strings play with tons of passion in the outer movements. Tuba player Chris Olka makes the most lugubrious meal out of the finale's opening solo of any tuba player, and the solo bass drum strokes strike me as being absolutely ideal.  What a 'shocker' right out of left field.

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
I listened to this over the past two days, as it is available on Apple Music streaming. 

To my ears, this is one of the best conducted M10's.  I haven't compared Cooke V1 v. V2. v. V3 in a while, but this is mostly a Version 2 recording plus certain changes put in by Dausgaard -- right?  I hear more percussion in this one than in some of the Cooke V3's like Wigglesworth.  I really love most of what Dausgaard has done.  Everything seems well thought out and well integrated.   The drum strokes are indeed perfect IMO.  The ending is truly sublime. 

I can't wait to listen again and will probably buy the hi-res download when I do.   
Scott

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk