Author Topic: OT: RIP Stanislaw Skrowazewski  (Read 7227 times)

Offline Roland Flessner

OT: RIP Stanislaw Skrowazewski
« on: February 24, 2017, 05:30:16 AM »
Though he seems to have recorded only an M4 with Halle, I am a fervent admirer of Stanislaw Skrowazewski. I was privileged to hear four concerts led my him in Minneapolis, all outstanding. Programs included Brahms I and III, Bruckner VIII, Beethoven VII, the Brahms first concerto, and some of the conductor's own music, which was very interesting. He died Tuesday at 93.

http://www.classicalmpr.org/story/2017/02/21/minn-orchestra-stanislaw-skrowaczewski-dies-at-93

RIP!

Offline GL

Re: OT: RIP Stanislaw Skrowazewski
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 10:19:37 AM »

Offline sbugala

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 03:19:44 PM »
I got to hear him guest conduct the Saint Louis Symphony twice. The first time he led them in a perfect Bruckner 4th; the second, and almost as great Bruckner 8th. I'm a big fan of his Ravel recordings with Minnesota.

Offline Phoenix

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 07:38:21 PM »
I got to see him conduct Das klagende Lied with the Minnesota Sym at Carnegie Hall around 1971 or 1972.  The great Maureen Forrester was among the singers that night.  In fact, I sat in the second row right in front of Ms. Forrester.  Perhaps not the best seat in the house to enjoy the music, but a great seat to enjoy Ms. Forrester's singing.  Besides, the ticket was free since I got it from the USO so I really couldn't complain.  I drove three hours that day from the Sub Base in Groton, CT just to see that performance.

Offline waderice

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 03:29:06 AM »
I got to see him conduct Das klagende Lied with the Minnesota Sym at Carnegie Hall around 1971 or 1972.  The great Maureen Forrester was among the singers that night.  In fact, I sat in the second row right in front of Ms. Forrester.  Perhaps not the best seat in the house to enjoy the music, but a great seat to enjoy Ms. Forrester's singing.  Besides, the ticket was free since I got it from the USO so I really couldn't complain.  I drove three hours that day from the Sub Base in Groton, CT just to see that performance.

I never knew Maureen Forrester to sing one of the solo parts in Das klagende Lied.  Too bad there's no recording of her in this work, unless there's one I'm unaware of.  I'll never forget her singing Das Lied von der Erde.

Wade

Offline Roland Flessner

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 12:17:34 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk