Author Topic: Finally I buy the Bertini box...  (Read 4669 times)

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Finally I buy the Bertini box...
« on: November 15, 2007, 07:20:38 PM »
Yep, I couldn't resist the 40 buck price tag on Amazon, so I finally bought it.

I can't wait to compare this M9 with his Japanese one, and the sound clips of his M2 and M4 sound very appealing, I have a feeling I'm going to love his M2.  I also eagerly await his M8.

Whats Bertini's M7 like?

--Leo

Offline John Kim

Re: Finally I buy the Bertini box...
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 05:13:44 AM »
Leo,

I like both versions of Bertini's M9ths, the German version for the sheer brilliance of the orchestra, the Japanese one for Bertini's improved concepts of the work. But the EMI recording sounds somewhat murky and unfocused.

John,

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 06:52:00 AM »
Leo,

The M7th in this box set is very well done, with Bertini's forthright view of the score. There are no surprises here; the horn in the opening sounds nothing special and Bertini doesn't speed up his tempo in places where had he done it the music would have had more liveliness. Overall, I thought it was a middle-of-road performance but my memory is not so sharp at this point. I'd single out the M8th as the finest achievement in the set. But again, I have not heard the M1, M2, M4, M5 in the set. I also like the M3rd and M6th, which were the earliest installments in the series. There are sings of digital glares in these recordings but Bertini's fresh perspective and the alert, superb playing shine through. In the old days they were my desertland M3 and M6. I mean, they were once.

I am listening to the DVD-A of Rattle/BPO/EMI M10th as I write this message. Such beautiful playing and great sound - this is the M10th to live with for now.

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 12:50:54 AM »
Thanks John, I'm really looking forward to this set.

And I ordered that Rattle M10 DVD-A  :)

--Leo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk