Author Topic: Tonight's relisten to Mitropolous/VPO M8 (oi vey!)  (Read 5516 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Tonight's relisten to Mitropolous/VPO M8 (oi vey!)
« on: December 17, 2007, 05:47:13 AM »
Somebody traded in the Mitropolous Mahler 8 (Orfeo) at one of the places that I work. Yiiiiiiiiikes! There are some fabulous moments, and some truly awful moments. Mitropolous clearly knew the work really well, as he changed tempi often (and rather creatively, at that). Sometimes good-old Dmitri is just way off base. For example: the very beginning of the first big tenor solo in Part 2 - he's just absurdly fast there! As is often the case with earlier VPO recordings, one gets the impression of a truly great (French)horn section being surrounded by an average orchestra that's just along for the ride. In spots, the VPO trombones truly belt their parts right out there. In other spots, they're not so great (same can be said of the trumpets). As with SO MANY "historical" Mahler recordings, there's a fair amount mis-counting: missed entrances; notes held for the wrong duration, etc. The first entrance of the harmonium (chamber organ) in Part 2 is painful - it's so out of tune!!! The concert organ sounds small, fake, and wheezy - all at the same time. All of this is too bad, because some of the solo singing in Part 2 is quite good. Yet, those same singers completely over-sing their parts in Part 1 - go figure! On the whole, I have to give this a big thumbs-down. But still, there are some very good moments as well.

What's truly interesting, is that it appears that Pierre Boulez copied some of Mitropolous' ideas such as the slow and grand ending to Part 1.

Offline stillivor

Re: Tonight's relisten to Mitropolous/VPO M8 (oi vey!)
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 09:05:12 PM »
  Will play my copy shortly.

Mitropoulos's M6 (1959) is incredible, positively electric.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 05:46:07 AM »
Yes, I think that the 6th is probably Mitropolous' best overall Mahler recording - both of them (Cologne and N.Y.). However, he doesn't do an expo. repeat - if anbody cares much about that.

Barry

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 06:04:57 AM »
I also think Scherchen's M8 is a fun ride...one I've only gone on once! 

--Leo

Offline stillivor

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 11:06:06 PM »
  I care a bit about the repeat - more M to listen to if nothing else! - and I think the work is more right (sic) eith it,but with a performance like that,.........................................................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ivor

Offline stillivor

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 08:07:25 PM »
Finally got to it on my 4th cycle.

I don't know it well enough to spot missed entries and all. I'm afraid the 8th is my least favourite   :o.

it's a parchy performance, with a non-event of an opening - the organ so feeble. Some of the singing is glorious and I noticed a couple of times the triangle superclearly, very bell-like.

Do any reissues bring in the applause after>  My Transatlantic label set, has a neat fade/cut before it starts, ans the response can add to the sense of occasion.

And what do I play after?

Ivor

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 07:22:40 AM »
I think the Horenstein M8 on BBC Legends has the applause left on, but I could be wrong about that. The DVD of Bernstein/Vienna Phil. from 1975 has applause on there.

And to follow up M8 on you stereo, how about Kenny Dorham's "Quiet Kenny". It's a fabulous, old Bluenote reissue.

Offline stillivor

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 08:12:56 PM »
  I wasn't clear. Dammit. I meant, are there any Mitropoulos reissues of M8 with the applause left in.

i don't have the Durham   :o again. Since I've got a cold, I went to bed soon after.

Ivor

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk