Author Topic: D.H. on Eschenbach/Philly M8 @ Carnegie Hall  (Read 7156 times)

Offline barry guerrero

D.H. on Eschenbach/Philly M8 @ Carnegie Hall
« on: May 08, 2008, 07:16:17 AM »
I think what Dave says about having supertitles during an M8 performance is interesting, and surely "right on the money". That's in the last paragraph. He also complains about the choral forces - particularly the childrens chorus - being too small. But it's my impression that Carnegie Hall would be very challenged to fit extremely large choral forces. I have a feeling that the Verizon Hall performances will probably work much better (the Carnegie Hall performance was actually before, not after the Verizon Hall ones). I'm afraid I wouldn't care for Vinson Cole's tenor performance either, though (reviewed in the fourth paragraph}.

ESCHENBACH AND PHILLY IN DISAPPOINTING MAHLER 8TH

Carnegie Hall, New York; May 7, 2008
Everyone knows that Mahler's Eighth Symphony can be played by much fewer than the 1000 performers of its nickname, "Symphony of a Thousand," which the composer himself decried. However, no matter how many musicians actually take part, the work has to sound as it's so often billed--as an epic, an overwhelming aural experience. So the problem with Eschenbach's Mahler at Carnegie Hall didn't stem solely from the fact that his forces were too meager, but rather because under his baton the work sounded so casual, so unspecial, so much like the "Symphony of a Coupla Hundred." This was particularly true of the first movement (or Part One), even though Eschenbach opened with an aptly impulsive basic tempo and never let the quieter passages for the soloists bog down. All of this was admirable, but the great central fugue revealed his unwillingness to indulge the music's grandeur. The children's choir was woefully understaffed, and consequently largely inaudible, and why not use Mahler's requested three sets of cymbals at the climax? Noisy? Excessive? For sure, but if you don't like excess, then stay away from this symphony.

So size, or the illusion of size, does matter. Eschenbach's failure to embrace the music's grandiosity was compounded by a shockingly casual indulgence of slack rhythm and poor ensemble. This was simply inexcusable, particularly given the by-no-means unwieldy forces involved. There were four strikingly embarrassing moments where the music threatened to escape Eschenbach's control: the first movement's coda, the second passionate outburst (largely for strings) in Part Two's adagio introduction, the scherzando episode at the first entrance of the children's choir (conducted far too quickly and without a shred of playfulness), and the orchestral interlude after "Blicket auf!" where the harps, celesta, and percussion were entirely out of step. Add to these lapses some self-indulgent touches, most notably the huge retard just before the final reprise of the closing chorus, which actually added a couple of extra beats to the linking choral line for the women, and the result was an interpretation that truly lost site of basic musical values in a quest for a few unconvincing effects.

Indeed, it's very difficult to dismiss the notion that Eschenbach doesn't particularly like this music, or if he does like it, doesn't understand it. How else can we explain his habit, in Part Two, of taking Mahler's "flowing" and "don't drag" instructions invariably as license to slow down? This turned the entire final third of the movement, from the arias and trio for the female soloists onward, into a lugubrious trudge. In Gretchen's solo, just before the appearance of the Mater Gloriosa, Eschenbach became steadily slower bars before Mahler asked for an actual ritard. Not only did this make the vocal part much more difficult to sing, it considerably dimmed the triumphant, glowing reappearance of the "Veni Creator" theme in the brass. Time and again Eschenbach pushed and pulled at the music with impulses that were almost always at variance with what Mahler either clearly wrote, or with what the music itself seemed to want to do. Yes, there were some lovely sounds, helped in no small measure by the presence of four harps (at least in this respect Mahler got what he wanted), but in an effort to avoid stressing Part Two’s populist, folksy style, one that at times deliberately flirts with kitsch, Eschenbach's distortions wound up throwing out not just sentimentality, but sentiment.

This leaves us with the eight soloists. The Eighth is really two very different works: a polyphonic extravaganza in Part One, and an oratorio-like sequence of choruses and solo numbers in Part Two. In the former, the vocal soloists cooperated very well and blended nicely, while sopranos Christine Brewer and Michaela Kaune tossed off their innumerable high Cs with aplomb. In Part Two, the women again provided the evening’s highlights, led off by Brewer who survived an excruciatingly slow tempo for her solo as Magna Peccatrix, and with alto Stephanie Blythe simply sensational as Mulier samaritana and in her earlier solo with chorus. The one disappointment on the female side was Marisol Montalvo’s harsh and wobbly Mater gloriosa, sung from the Hall’s balcony. Why they used her was a mystery, as her voice was completely lacking the purity this single line of exquisite melody demands. As for the men, the less said the better. Baritone Franco Pomponi wasn’t bad given Eschenbach’s crawl through “Ewiger Wonnebrand.” Bass James Morris sounded worn and unsteady in pitch, though his high notes were impressive. Tenor Vinson Cole crooned his way through Doctor Marianus’ music in a manner little short of disgusting. His light, thin voice stands about as far away from the Heldentenor timbre Mahler requires as it’s possible to be.

In the end, all of the singers were audibly hampered by Eschenbach’s inability to conduct the music with the simplicity and naturalness that makes Mahler’s most potentially mawkish moments sound compelling. Even the supertitles, a nice touch you might suspect, added to the performance’s aura of strangeness. You looked up to see odd bits of text such as, “Thou of the sevenfold gifts, Finger upon the right hand of the father,” and “Cudgels, O shatter me, And lightening, storm through me” flash by seemingly at random. Thus rendered out of context, two lines at a time, they made the words appear more disjointed and incomprehensible than necessary. Overall the weaknesses in the performance were magnified by the knowledge that these forces had already given the work in Philadelphia the prior week, and so should have been comfortable with the music and Eschenbach’s view of it. Of course, everyone has a bad night now and then, but in this case the problems went far deeper than can be chalked up to mere happenstance. These were sins of commission, not just omission, and many of them were unforgivable.

David Hurwitz
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 07:18:21 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline barry guerrero

Re: D.H. on Eschenbach/Philly M8 @ Carnegie Hall
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 07:29:11 AM »
Here's the N.Y. Times review of the same Carnegie Hall performance. Notice the completely opposite opinion of Marisol Montalvo's offstage contribution (or from the heights).

Though the relationship between the conductor Christoph Eschenbach and the players of the Philadelphia Orchestra clearly did not work out, the reasons are still being debated. Even critics in Philadelphia cannot seem to agree. Whatever the case, Mr. Eschenbach, who became the orchestra’s music director in 2003, will leave at the end of this season.

Against this contentious backdrop, the triumph of his appearance with the Philadelphia Orchestra at Carnegie Hall on Tuesday night, a performance of Mahler’s Eighth Symphony, the “Symphony of a Thousand,” must have been a deeply gratifying but bittersweet experience for all involved.

Just amassing the forces necessary for Mahler’s sprawling, 80-minute symphony and getting everyone through a performance is reason enough for an audience to cheer. And the Philadelphia Orchestra can claim a historic association with this score. Leopold Stokowski led the orchestra in the first American performances in 1916 (six years after Mahler conducted the premiere in Munich). Stokowski assembled a chorus, an orchestra and soloists totaling 1,068 performers (about 40 more than Mahler had in Munich).

In keeping with practice today Mr. Eschenbach had far fewer performers: 335, including 205 choristers and eight vocal soloists. Still the stage had to be extended with a platform that swallowed up the first four rows in the auditorium. The chorus included four ensembles: the Philadelphia Singers Chorale, the Westminster Symphonic Choir, the Mendelssohn Club of Philadelphia and the American Boychoir.

Mr. Eschenbach, as vigorous as ever at 68, managed the traffic cop aspects of conducting this daunting work very well. He can sometimes be a fussy interpreter, but the Mahler Eighth does not give you much leeway for that. What distinguished this performance was its directness and clarity.

In other symphonies Mahler can sound tortured and fitful. But he sketched the Eighth Symphony in, for him, an astonishingly short burst of inspiration. For me, this is the least convoluted, most open-hearted of the nine Mahler symphonies, qualities conveyed vividly by Mr. Eschenbach and his forces.

Part 1 is an ecstatic setting of the Latin hymn “Veni, Creator Spiritus” lasting nearly 30 minutes. With driving rhythms and restless energy, it sounds like some apotheosis of a celestial dance. Yet despite its length, the teeming music comes across as stunningly compressed. During climactic moments the reverberant sound of the orchestra and choir, almost terrifying in its sheer volume, was countered by the childlike awe that Mahler’s setting exudes.

Part 2 sets the final episode of Goethe’s “Faust,” the metaphysical scene in which the title character, now 100, achieves salvation. It is as hauntingly expansive as Part 1 is compressed. Even agitated moments have mystical serenity, a quality that pervaded this beautifully textured performance.

At one point Faust arrives at a mountain gorge inhabited by supernatural hermits. The great Wagnerian bass James Morris, born to sing Wotan, was perfect as one of the hermits, Pater Profundis, brooding about the rocky chasms at his feet and the anxiety of his perplexed soul.

There was great singing from all the soloists: the splendid mezzo-soprano Stephanie Blythe, the gleaming dramatic soprano Christine Brewer, the dusky mezzo-soprano Charlotte Hellekant, the ardent tenor Vinson Cole, the hardy baritone Franco Pomponi, the earthy soprano Michaela Kaune and — as the celestial Mater Gloriosa, her voice coming from the top balcony in the hall — the sweet-voiced soprano Marisol Montalvo.

The symphony ends with the Mahlerian equivalent of a simple, soulful church hymn, performed here with affecting tenderness. The ovation went on and on. On this night at least the Philadelphia players and their conductor seemed at one.

Offline Dave H

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 11:19:48 AM »
Hi Barry! A couple of points:

1. The Philly performances preceeded those at Carnegie Hall (see the previous review that gives that dates of the concerts there as April 30 and May 1-3).

2. Carnegie Hall has no problem accomodating the 8th. The stage was extended anyway, and I have seen performances there with much larger forces. If necessary, you can always stick the kids in a balcony. Sure, you lose selling some seats, but better to do it right then undermine the music. In any case, as I suggested, the problem was not the size of the performing forces per se, but Eschenbach's inability to make them sound big enough.

Dave H

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 01:57:12 AM »
Thanks Dave. I still hope that the recording turns out OK. I believe that Dean Griffey will be the tenor on the recording. He's the same guy that MTT/SFSO will be using. Anyway, we'll see.

B.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 07:16:41 AM »
...Very interesting. I would think Eschenbach would be naturally good at M8th. I am more worried about the orchestra than the conductor. These days, the Philadelphia Orch. sounds incredibly homogeneous, especially in the strings, without the rich, glowing sound that the Ormandy era had enriched so much. But so does almost every orchestra nowadays.

John,

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 05:54:33 PM »
Hi Barry!

Dave H

WELCOME TO THE BOARD!!!  I'm extremely hopeful that you'll add more commentary to the Board in the future!!!

Note:  Please excuse my giddy school-girl excitement that you've posted here, but I DID have my newborn son's footprint imprinted on the inside-cover of your Mahler book. 

Scott
Scott

Offline Dave H

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 03:23:03 AM »
Thank you very much for the kind welcome (and for the honor being footprinted). I don't have a lot of time to post, usually, and in particular I'm finishing a book on Brahms that I simply HAVE to get through, but I look forward to participating and (more) to reading what other folks here have to say. I've looked at the exchanges here for a while and it certainly seems a good place to be, perhaps because the discussions are moderated by you and so tend to be more sane and substantive than a lot of other places I can name. I'll do my best to keep my contributions similarly positive!

All the best,
Dave H

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 09:43:28 PM »
...and in particular I'm finishing a book on Brahms that I simply HAVE to get through,

All the best,
Dave H

I am looking forward to the book on Brahms.  I greatly enjoyed your book on Dvorak, which was responsible for a major expansion of my CD collection. 
Scott

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk