Author Topic: X-mas @ Mormon Tabernacle/Rene Fleming  (Read 5190 times)

Offline barry guerrero

X-mas @ Mormon Tabernacle/Rene Fleming
« on: December 25, 2006, 05:44:25 PM »
Hi,

Just wondering if anybody else say the big X-mas concert at the Mormon Tabernacle, with Rene Fleming as their host soloist. It was pretty high-powered stuff. There was a very nice  and fancy arrangement of "Carol Of The Bells" that I really liked.

Barry

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
Re: X-mas @ Mormon Tabernacle/Rene Fleming
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 09:49:10 PM »
This may have been a repeat, but my local PBS was broadcasting a Nashville Symphony performance which included the final movement of M2 conducted by Slatkin.  IIRC, Frederica von Stade was singing the Mezzo part.     :o
Scott

Offline Amphissa

Re: X-mas @ Mormon Tabernacle/Rene Fleming
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 03:14:32 AM »
"This may have been a repeat, but my local PBS was broadcasting a Nashville Symphony performance which included the final movement of M2 conducted by Slatkin.  IIRC, Frederica von Stade was singing the Mezzo part."

I had that on for awhile too, thinking I would videotape it later. But the performance was so dreadful, I not only decided I wouldn't tape it, but that I wouldn't even listen to it any longer. Not just von Stade, who should have retired years ago, but the lifeless music as well. I've heard the NSO play well in concert, but both times I've heard them play Mahler, it was not a pleasant experience. In this case, a lot of the blame can be laid directly at the feet of Slatkin, who was just going through the motions.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 03:17:25 AM by Amphissa »
"Life without music is a mistake." Nietzsche

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk