Author Topic: another M7th - Jansons/OPO/Simax - coming out  (Read 6911 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Re: another M7th - Jansons/OPO/Simax - coming out
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 06:09:47 AM »
Aaargh! I like it that he's lengthened the first two movements since his BRSO M7 (I especially like 23 min. for the first mvt.), but now he's lengthened the second Nachtmusik to out past 14 minutes! Combine these first two movements, with the last two movements from the earlier one, and he'll have the right idea. 

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 07:08:59 PM »
Yes, the timing of I. is closer to what I heard in his live concert with RCO which I raved about.

So, that's good news.

I must say I liked Jansons' recording of M9th with the same orchestra on the same label.

The inner movts. are somewhat ordinary but Jansons shines in the first movt. with unique tempo relationships and structure while the Finale had some really fine string playing.

John,

Offline 2gus4tav

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 10:23:45 PM »
Well it's worth releasing since it appears to be a completely different take on the symphony.  Every movement is longer than his recent BRSO one. 

I also rather enjoy his Oslo M9 and the M1 with which its paired.  While neither are a first tier favorite, I especially appreciate that the M9 is a bit swifter in the outer movements than my normal preference -- but still very well balanced.  It makes for a nice change of pace.  I actually had a downloaded rip since its release.  However, my local CD shop had been carrying an unsold copy in its stock for a few years (literally unsold since its release date).  He was charging his normal full price plus a dollar (and his pricing doesn't bother me -- except that this one retailed for 2 full-priced discs) and he finally put it on sale a few months ago; so I bought it.   IIRC, the release has splendid sound. 

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 10:25:38 PM »
Well it's worth releasing since it appears to be a completely different take on the symphony.  Every movement is longer than his recent BRSO one. 

I also rather enjoy his Oslo M9 and the M1 with which its paired.  While neither are a first tier favorite, I especially appreciate that the M9 is a bit swifter in the outer movements than my normal preference -- but still very well balanced.  It makes for a nice change of pace.  I actually had a downloaded rip since its release.  However, my local CD shop had been carrying an unsold copy in its stock for a few years (literally unsold since its release date).  He was charging his normal full price plus a dollar (and his pricing doesn't bother me -- except that this one retailed for 2 full-priced discs) and he finally put it on sale a few months ago; so I bought it.   IIRC, the release has splendid sound. 

Oops.  That was me.  I forgot to log out after removing some spam/users from the site. 
Scott

Offline achri-d

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 04:14:43 PM »
This is a live recording from March 23-24 2000. The BRSO is another live one - but newer - i.e. March 8-9 2007. Rgds.

Offline Dave H

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 02:45:02 PM »
Maybe if he does a new one every couple of weeks for the next five or six years he'll eventually get it right. Really, this is ridiculous. All we're getting is a pile of CDs of average subscription concerts; sure every once in while one is great, but then, every once in a while a live concert is great. Do we NEED this?

Dave H

Offline John Kim

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 12:30:18 AM »
But his RCO concert some years ago was excellent. ;)

Has anyone heard the Simax recording?

John,

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 05:30:23 AM »
Do we NEED this?

Dave H

NEED?   ;)

I'm sure there is a strong argument that the world does not need ANY more Mahler recordings.  I, for one, WANT new Mahler recordings as long as they're good!   ;D
Scott

Offline John Kim

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 08:03:16 AM »
I got a copy while I was visiting Korea.

It is somewhat different than the live RCO concert I heard around the same time (early 2000's). The orchestra is different of course, but Jansons here seems to focus more on articulation and discipline. As a result, the Simax recording sounds slightly less spontaneous and seems to lack the flexibility and atmosphere that characterized the RCO concert. Still, it's an excellent M7th with a vast I. that clocks at over 23 min., a fluent and appropriately nocturnal II. and IV., a really exciting V. that ends in less than 17 min. I like it that the central Scherzo has a surprisingly romantic trio section, a la Ozawa/BSO/Philips.

The sound is very natural and well balanced but somewhat opaque, next to Zinman. Make no mistake; the details are all audible and the sound has plenty of depth and cushion.

I cannot compare it with Jansons' other M7th with BRSO as I have not yet heard it.

Highly recommended.

John,
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 08:18:57 AM by John Kim »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 07:18:19 AM »
I can compare - trust me, they're quite different from each other. The earlier Simax one is actually the better sounding recording. Also, Jansons was far more willing to peak under dark corners and stare into dark closets during this earlier 2000 concert - especially during the first two movements. The timings for the first two movements are significantly slower here than on his recent Munich one. Since he contrasts tempi quite frequently within movements, there are moments where he even reminds me of Klemperer just a bit. For me, it's the middle movement scherzo that's a bit of failure on this earlier Simax one.

By that, I mean that it fails to make the requisite jump from darkness to light, especially as the movement turns almost comical towards the end. This is followed by a second Nachtmusik (fourth movement) that's a throw-back to the days of making it consistently over 14 minutes long in duration. That certainly emphasizes the more nocturnal aspect of the movement, but it also sort of ignores the almost "Italian Serenade" quality of the music itself. As a result, we're suddenly thrown into the brightness of daylight at the very start of the finale. It's little wonder that early critics of the work felt that the finale simply didn't belong with the rest of the symphony. But on the whole, the finale on the Simax one is really, really good. I prefer it to the finale on the BRSO one.

In fact, it scores over the BRSO one in terms of capturing the work's, "concerto for orchestra" aspects. To be specific, the Oslo players were far more willing to let their percussion department - who do a very good job, by the way - reinforce the climaxes throughout the finale. There's plenty of tam-tam wherever it shows up, and the deep bells/cowbells are very prominent at the movement's final peroration.

For me, the finale on the BRSO M7 is a bit one dimensional: mostly fast from beginning to end. The Oslo finale has a far better mix of tempo relationships. In that regard alone, it reminds me a lot of Abbado; only with more percussion.

For me, the bottom line is this: I like the Oslo one better for movements 1, 2, & 5, but prefer the new one for movements 3 & 4. Put them together - interpretively speaking - and you'd have a pretty darn good Mahler 7th.

Hope this helps.

Barry
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 07:21:03 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 08:11:04 PM »
Barry,

I am glad you too liked the Simax Jansons M7th. I thought the sound was not as good as Janson's M1 & M9 recordings on the same label. But on a close hearing I found it quite satisfactory. I actually like all five movts. Jansons slows down at crucial moments in II. and III. making the following sections more romantic and serious (for lack of words, execuse me ;)) than normal. Thus, the middle section of the Scherzo sounds unusually 'tender'; I've never heard such a treatment since Ozawa's BSO recording. Like you said, he makes frequent changes in the tempo in the outer movts., and I like the treat too.

All in all,, Janson's Simax M7th is somewhat out of ordinary compared to say, MTT, Barenboim, Schwarz and even MTT, but he makes all the elements of the symphony quite convincing and cogent in his unique approach. My to choice is still his live concert with RCO from the same year, 2000, but I have a high enthusiasm for this companion recording.

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk