Author Topic: OT: Rattle/BPO Complete Brahms Symphonies  (Read 4033 times)

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
OT: Rattle/BPO Complete Brahms Symphonies
« on: November 24, 2009, 04:10:13 PM »

Wish I had time for a more detailed review, but frankly, I'm amazed at the sound and beautiful pacing of the performances...totally recommended. 

--Todd

;D

Offline alpsman

Re: OT: Rattle/BPO Complete Brahms Symphonies
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 07:33:15 PM »
These are really exceptional performances. I listen to them slowly-in cd and dvd-and I have so far listened 2,3 and 4. The sound is really impresive( in my japanese presings), the playing outstanding and the interpretation totaly warm and absorbing.

I have also a Brahms 4 in dvd live from Berlin, recorded 1st May 2007, and this is a fantastic performance. I also listened Rattle live in the Brahms-Schoenberg quartet and found that concert one of the best.

So Rattle and Brahms with Berliners makes a unique partnership.

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 03:39:33 AM »
I'm really tempted to get the japanese pressing with the DVD's!

Still enjoying my Rattle Brahms set.

--Todd

Offline alpsman

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 08:43:41 PM »
I complete the listening with the 1st.

The set is outstanding! I heard imediatelly the finale of the 1st again for a second time( something I never do), and then listened Karajan's Decca with VPO.My impressions for Rattle remains.  Rattle, the Berliners and the sound are magnificent.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 01:11:21 AM »
What has been letting me down when it comes to Rattle/BPO/EMI recordings is the less than ideal sound quality. For reasons I cannot quite follow, the EMI engineers opt for an unusually low level recording that sounds cavernous and opaque without a wide dynamic range and the kind of impact that we are all used to in this digital era. The sound that EMI (a different team, I presume) created for Rattle's earlier recordings, e.g., CBSO account of M2nd, was much better and more lifelike in this sense.

So, how does the new Brahms cycle sound? ???

John,

Offline alpsman

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 12:54:48 PM »
The difference in sound between Birbigham and Berlin recordings must be that of the halls.

As for the Brahms cycle: I already said that I find the sound splendit, BUT in Japanese pressings. I don't know the Europian release but  imagine that will be mediocre in the best case.

In Japan release the sound is full, warm, immediate, without glare in strings. I listen at full volume without the least discomfort. This is not the "audiophile" sound of Telarc, Exton, xrcd etc. and I find this much more good. You concertrate totally to the glorious music.
And you have the fantastic bonus of the 2dvds with all the symphonies.

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 02:36:11 PM »
I am very happy with the European release sound quality, very much like Alpsman described  :D  It the best sounding Rattle release from EMI IMHO.  Although I thought the M9 sounded good too, but Japanese pressing was much better.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Japanese pressing for the Brahms has the edge though.

--Todd

Offline John Kim

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 06:04:08 PM »
The difference in sound between Birbigham and Berlin recordings must be that of the halls.
I don't think so. Just compare the Rattle/CBSO M2nd with all the rest in the cycle. You'll see what I mean.

The only exception was the M10th in the DVD Audio format (I have not heard the M8th in this format).

John,

Offline Amphissa

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 04:20:35 PM »

Is the release containing the DVD available in the U.S.? Because I'm certainly not willing to pay $70 to get it from Japan.

"Life without music is a mistake." Nietzsche

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk