Author Topic: Jochum/SD Bruckner cycle - EMI or Brilliant? (OOT)  (Read 7834 times)

Offline John Kim

Jochum/SD Bruckner cycle - EMI or Brilliant? (OOT)
« on: December 31, 2009, 04:09:52 PM »
I am considering to get the Bruckner Symphonies cycle by Jochum and Dtaatskapelle Dresden. I have two choices - the original EMI (remastered) and Brilliant labels. The latter, I am told, has a bonus disc containing the zeroth symphony by another conductor. Other than this, the two should be identical in their contents.

Can anyone tell me which one of these editions SOUND BETTER?

Thanks.

Best,

John,

Offline James Meckley

Re: Jochum/SD Bruckner cycle - EMI or Brilliant? (OOT)
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 07:19:04 PM »
John,

Don't overlook the Musical Heritage Society release of the remastered EMI set as a third alternative. That's the one I have, and all I can say is it sounds considerably better than the first EMI release. All three of these (EMI-remastered, MHS and BC) surely came from the same EMI digital production master and probably sound exactly alike, but I can't help you with that.

BTW, the "Zeroth" in the Brilliant set is conducted by Stanislaw Skrowaczewski with the Saarbrücken Radio Symphony Orchestra, whose complete set on Arte Nova (and later Oehms) is certainly worth hearing.

Bruckner's Symphonies 0 and 00 always make me think of a roulette wheel.

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline waderice

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 08:04:42 PM »
Bruckner's Symphonies 0 and 00 always make me think of a roulette wheel.

Good analogy ;D.  BTW, the only recording I have ever seen (and have somewhere in my library) of the Symphony 00 is that on an EMI (if I recall correctly) LP with Eliaykum (sp?) Shapirra conducting the LSO.  There are a few recordings of the Symphony 0.  In my case, it appears in my two integral Bruckner symphony sets with Haitink/Concertgebouw and Barenboim/CSO.

I have the first CD issue of the integral Jochum/Staatskapelle Dresden set, but unfortunately, cannot comment on comparing it with the later Brilliant Classics.  As I recall, it was an excellent bargain at 60 bucks at the time I bought it, even if the sound throughout is uneven.

Wade
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 08:08:28 PM by waderice »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 09:22:05 PM »
Thanks, James and Wade.

My exposure to Jochum's Bruckner is quite limited; I only have his B5th with RCO and B9th with SD (EMI). I found both outstanding, especially the latter. The first two movts are surprisingly aggressive and acute pinpointing the dark sides of the music. OTHO, the finale lasts for almost 28 min. producing a noble and heavenly feel. It is a very unique and powerful B9th.

John,

Offline waderice

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 09:58:49 PM »
I believe most everyone here is familiar with the problem of versions (revisions) of the Bruckner symphonies.  Some of the integral recorded cycles utilize the revisions made by Robert Haas in the 1930's and those made by Leopold Nowak in the 1950's.  The intended goal of the two editors was to restore what they felt were Bruckner's original intentions in the original composition of his works.  Bruckner, unfortunately, was gullible (literally) in listening to, and accepting compositional advice by many of his musical contemporaries in the hope to get his works more acceptable to audiences who had for the most part, disapproved of his works.  The work of Haas and Nowak was intended to remove the "compositional advice" accepted and incorporated by Bruckner and restore what they believed were Bruckner's original intentions.  Generally, the edition utilized by Jochum in his Staatskapelle Dresden recordings and the earlier DG ones by him conducting the BVRS is that of Nowak.  The two cycles I have by Haitink and Barenboim utilize those of Haas.  But for those who are not familiar with the "editions" problem can get an idea of how to sort through this conundrum at the following site:

http://www.unicamp.br/~jmarques/mus/bruckner-e.htm

Wade
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 10:07:11 PM by waderice »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 11:05:42 PM »
Correct. Jochum reaches for Nowak on every one of them, where a significant difference exists. He also claimed to have put cuts in the finale of B6. He felt that the improviser in Bruckner got the best of him in that particular finale. Jochum/Dresden do a terrific 7th as well.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 12:05:17 AM »
Jochum/Dresden do a terrific 7th as well.
Yes, I heard the second movt. in this recording is truly special.

John,

Offline alpsman

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 08:58:58 PM »
Considering the sound I have to say that I have the EMI box from around 1997-98, and the sound is...well to put it politely not so impressive. It is a pity there is no japanese release from Toshiba. That will be sound much better than all the above releases you discuss.
As for the various interpretations I found a 9nth with BerlinPO(1977) in Palexa very impressive.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk